Something brought up by a coworker...

Today while on one of my breaks a coworker brought up the story of the girl with Octuplets. She said that she thought it was rediculous that she would be so irresponsible to purposely have that many kids without having the means to support them. She does want to see any state having to foot the bill because of someone being irresponsible.
She said that she was not supporting the goverment in telling us how many kids we can have but she did say that she would support the government in telling us that if you need welfare or social services then you can only have it for up to 3 children and you would have to find other means to take care of the others if you chose to have more.
So what do you guys think? Should the government put a limit to how many children they will support in welfare to help prevent people from having kids just to use the system? Not saying the Octuplet girl is doing that but we all know some people do

amyrw

Asked by amyrw at 10:15 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• well i dotn think they should limit it when it comes to a pregnancy of multiples. but i kinda do think htey should have a limit for people that keep popping out kids and not even tryign to find a job. i mean i knwo some people do need the help but dont depend on it for the rest of your life
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 10:20 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Yea, I was thinking the same thing. I know people who have been laid off and just needed temporary help and they were back on their feet and off the system as soon as they could be. But then, I worked with a girl who was 19 and on her 4th child (living in a 2 bedroom apartment with her husband) and she said she was only having the 4th baby b/c her husband wanted a new car and the baby was a good tax cut!!! She is now 25 and has been living off of the VA state government since she was 18.

What I really think they should implement is a program where they will allow you to have social service for a certain amount of years, lets say 5, and if you have not been able to get back on your feet they start taking it away after a case evaluation to make sure you haven't just hit another rough spot and are trying to help yourself.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 10:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• yea your friend is a ridiculous. It just pisses me off so bad cause we have alot of illegal immagrants that take advantage of us too. and i just love the values of life these people teach there kids..like its ok not to work,or its ok not to go to school and get a career so you can buy anything you want. i can go on and on but it just flusters me too much lol
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 10:34 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I really don't know. It is a very good question though. I think that there are a lot of people on welfare that have more kids just to stay on it. But to limit the number of kids that you can put on it per family would have many issues. One example is : what if a mother of 4 or 6 finds herself trying to leave an abusive relationship and needs the system to help her, but because she has so many children she is left without the amount of help she would need and therefore unable to move onto a better situation. ... this is just one example.
    yvette1

Answer by yvette1 at 11:10 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I think your friend is right, to a point. But what about a hardworking family with 4 or 5 kids who suddenly fall on hard times, because of job loss or illness or something that's out of their hands, and needs govt assistance? Will they only provide enough food stamps to feed 3 of those children? And only let 3 of them have medical cards? I see her point but for the reason I said, I could not support limiting the number of children you can have on welfare. I have 4 kids, and if anything happened and my DH was unable to work we would need assistance. I don't think it would be fair if we couldn't get what we needed because of the fraud and misuse and just plain taking advantage that some people do.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• And before someone says for me to go out and work, I would, but it would in no way compare to what my husband makes. We would still need assistance to keep a roof over our head and food on the table.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:14 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• i would say if you get welfare, it's just for the ones you already have, and if you have any more while on public assitance, you will not get extra help for the extra kids
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• i think there are people who take advantage of benefits and they are the ones I mind paying for-as far as the illegal immigrants-i just don't know what to say. I feel for them in the way that these people are only trying to have a better life here in America especially for their children. Its not right to let little innocent children starve or go w/o medical care.It's a very touchy issue but with that issue I think we need to think with our hearts.
    Momoftwo278

Answer by Momoftwo278 at 11:21 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

so women get pregnant while using birth control and on assistance should not receive medical care for there pregnancy. do you know what that would cost, if the baby was born early, instead of just paying for good maternity care.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Yea I agree with everyone that it is touchy and that it would be hard to implement. I guess it sounds good but then when you think of the people who aren't abusing the system but do fall on hard times and are honestly trying to get their life back on track to get off of assistance it just isn't right because there are people who aren't abusing the system who are trying to help their own situation out but fall a little short that really need the help. Ah what a tangled web it is...you can't stop the bad ones without hurting the good ones.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 11:55 PM on Feb. 6, 2009