sleep overs?

my kids are getting to the age of wanting to sleep over at friends houses and have their friends sleep at ours. i have no problem with sleep overs, friends house or mine, as long as i know the kid and the parents.

my problem is my 7yr ds has epilepsy and needs meds for it. he also has adhd, and can get out of controll sometimes. he doesn't have grand mal (full body) seizures, but if he hits his head just right he can get one or two (boy+7yrs old+adhd=lots of brusies and injuries!)

i don't want to put that responsibility on another parent, but i also don't want him to be the only one not getting to go to a friends house. he's #3 out of 4

what should i do?

bi-polarmommy

Asked by bi-polarmommy at 10:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Talk to the parents and let them know. I would be okay with having someone with epilepsy staying over (adhd too) as long as I know what the other parent wanted me to do.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 10:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I think if you know the family well enough a parent won't have a problem taking on that resonsibility
    And what about trying to find other children your child's age in your community that also have epilepsy that you could build friendships with? Not only would it be a nice support for you... but it would be good for your child to know he's not alone.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:51 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• the problem with finding "groups" for such things is the county we live in has a population of about 3000. county, not city
    we have to drive three hours for his nurologist, and he takes his meds at bed time and when he wakes up, and i dont know how comfortable i am with asking another parent to medicate my child, something that is my responsibility, not theirs
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 10:58 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Try a sleep over at your house to start. Then work up to someone else's house. If you find some other parents that feel comfortable taking on the task just inform then. Maybe you could do a movie night at the other parents home ( with you joining them in PJ's ), when it get pretty late you could leave and hopefully the boys will get sleepy and go to bed more easily, then just pick him up a little earlier in the morning. Leaving all the phone numbers and info. that the other parents may need.
    Sadielg

Answer by Sadielg at 12:27 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• My daughters friend has to take medication in the Morning ,afternoon, evening and at bedtime..I have no problem giving her medication,her mom just puts it all in the weekly pill box and tells me the times.I think if you just talk to the parents ahead of time things will be fine.besides if something happens you are only a phone call away.
    penepooh

Answer by penepooh at 8:49 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I think you should talk to the parents and see if they are okay with the meds and if they say its okay let them know what needs to be done if it does happen. I would think initially it should be up to the friend's parent since they will be the ones in charge
    TigerBaby69

Answer by TigerBaby69 at 5:56 PM on Feb. 8, 2009