Tips on Starting my own Clothing Consignment Shop Pls.

Hi, have you got a consignment shop? Want to offer some advice? Do you just shop at a really great one? Tell me what you love about it. I want to open up a shop but I am really nervous about it. Luckily w/consignment there are not as many startup costs as other types of biz, but still, I want to eventually make money. I know the economy is down right now and more people are probably shopping this type of place. Thanks! You can email me directly all info is appreciated: alittleladybug@gmail.com

alittleladybug

Asked by alittleladybug at 11:01 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• advertise!!!! radios, magnets, salons,etc.
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 11:09 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I have shopped at alot of consignment shops & my very best addvice is consistant discriptive ORGANIZATION!! be as specific as possible! not just denim ,dark ,light ect.
    & try to clean or spiffy up as much as possible things like sun glasses or reading frames should have their own displays add some color brightly colord glass beads or marbles on a glass stand ! consignement gives you the option of being a bit more exspensive than a thrift store
    make it a colorful well organised place & ppl will return! I like a place called Zoes consignment they organise things by era like 50's shoes & what not..
    they also have a rencarnated rack,clothes that have been alterd or dyed
    I do alot of this with items I buy at thrift stores redyeing old jeans in a dark denim makes them look new & you can do several pairs in one load covers stains too! message me if you like
    jellybeangreen

Answer by jellybeangreen at 4:55 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Just make sure you know what you are getting into. The start up costs will be just as high as any B&M (brick sand mortar) store. You will have to pay rent and utilities, you'll need to purchase display racks, hangers, tags and a tag machine, a counter, mirrors for dressing rooms, cash register, bags, merchant account and the cc machine, etc. then of course you'll need to have a contract written up and copied for those who wish to sell at your shop, but to find them you'll have to pay for advertising. Then once open you'll have to pay for more advertising to get the word out that you are open for business. Good Luck!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• free stuff? http://www.rewards1.com/index.php?referrer_id=587800
    Anonymous

• i wanted to open up a consignment store as well but was nervous to do so, i dont want to open up something and it doesnt work out
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• If you decide to go thru with it, I would suggest getting an air purifier because many times all the different smells from clothes that come from all types of environments can make the place smell bad. My son works at one and putting n air purifier in there made a huge difference.
    The technology I have available will cover up to 3,000 square feet.
    I'd be happy to answer any questions, just send me a private message.
    Good luck to you!
    jaeann123

Answer by jaeann123 at 1:35 AM on Feb. 17, 2009