How do I start homeschooling?

We live in OR currently, but probably going to move to WA soon. my daughter goes to private school right now, but she has been bugging me for the last 2 yrs. to be home schooled. I don't know if I can get her to learn what she needs to and I really don't know where to begin.. What happens to her grade level if I try it and it doesn't work so we put her back into a public school, will that leave her behind? Any tips? Thanks! alittleladybug@gmail.com

alittleladybug

Asked by alittleladybug at 11:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My daughter is home-schooled and its all done online with a computer that the school provided for her she loves it and her grades went up a great deal.
    Tammy1755

Answer by Tammy1755 at 11:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• If you are that confused and you don't sound very confident, I would just let her stay in school. Why does she ask all the time to be home schooled? Is she having problems academically or socially. This has to be really thought out. I work at a public school and I love the structure and curricullum. The problem I have with home schooling is the schedule they keep. Public or private school gets a child onto a schedule and teaches them to get up and go do what you have to do. Teaching them to get up and go to WORK! As a child or adult we have to teach them to get up and go to work.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:40 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• i have been homeschooling for three years. my daughter is in the sixth grade, and she knows about work otherwise we wouldn't eat right? each individual household runs as it sees fit, the beauty of homeschool is it can be tailored to fit your childs need and inspire and nurture their gifts. the law varies from state to state so you will have to research your homeschool law. i am pennsylvania and we have to keep records and still be accountable to state. i don't use the cyber school but i am not against it, find what is right for your child.
    driftwood

Answer by driftwood at 7:19 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Each state has different laws check in to WA.
    Anonymous

• I also use a 'virtual academy' for home schooling purposes. They provide the computer, the online cirriculum, open hours to 'speak' to a teacher live online for help, etc. My son loves it and he previously had a great deal of difficulty with school due to ADHD. His grades have improved a great deal and it is easier for him to focus, which is important at his level of course work in the 11th grade.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 7:33 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Contact the county you are moving to and find out what their laws are about homeschooling. I homeschooled our oldest for awhile. Good luck
    mellowmomof3tn

Answer by mellowmomof3tn at 8:37 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• you can try k12.com it is a virtual academy that we use it follows the state guidelines too. basically your child will be doing the same thing she would be doing in school, just at home check it out
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Mar. 2, 2009