How do I get my son off a bottle?

My 19 month old son still has to have his bottle at nap/bed time. He drinks fine out of a cup all day and eats normal meals just fine, but when he is tired he wants that darn bottle and will cry for at least an hour if he doesn't get it. The reason it's hard to go cold turkey is because he has a 4 1/2 month old sister who drinks out of the bottle so I can't just get rid of them and although he drinks out of a cup fine he really only drinks enough milk out of a bottle. He tells me all the time that the bottles belong to baby hanna, but he still wants one. I have read so much that says it's ok to let him have one at bedtime as long as there is water in it because it is a comfort thing, but he is very interested in potty training and is starting to do that and it just seems like if he is able to potty train he should be able to give up the bottle. Any advice would be great!!

bbeth416

Asked by bbeth416 at 11:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I used the sippy cup called "born free." I feel that this is the reason why my daughter is off the bottle. She was off the bottle at 11 months because of this cup. The top of it it kindove like a mix between a nipple and a sippy cup, i would definitley recommend it to anyone!!!! I sent you a link below. Good luck!

go to www.bornfree.com
    TLynn727

Answer by TLynn727 at 11:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I would offer a sippy cup instead of a bottle at nap time...One with a soft opening that is close to a bottle feel but still a cup(nuk or nubbie).Try eliminating the nap bottle first then the night time one if you eliminate one at a time for a week each he will soon be ok with out one.The biggest thing that you need to do is NEVER give in once you decide to break him...If you arent ready for the battle dont start. I do day care and have an 18 month old here that is bottle breaking now and there are 3 other babies here on some days all on bottle.She has gotten to the point now where she will ask for a Ba but does get to sleep with only a sippy. She has not had a bottle for a week now at all and has to see the babies with them all day...Stay strong the first few days can be rough Just remember they they are not being injured or hurt in any way if they are just crying and throwing a fit. Try a different comfort item (blankie?)
    bonnevillesle

Answer by bonnevillesle at 11:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• He knows how to use a cup. He knows the bottles are for the baby. It's time to go cold turkey on him.

Give him something else to sleep with, but don't give him that bottle any more. It's a habit, not a necessity.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:50 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Cold turkey and he will be mad, but that MAY be the best way. Just a sugg.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 6:30 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I went cold turkey with my daughter.. she took a sippy cup with warter at nap and bedtime I started when she was elevan months and on her first birthday she was off the bottle.. Just take the bottle off him..
    Dancemom1396

Answer by Dancemom1396 at 7:31 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I don't understand everyone's obsession with making the bottle evil. Why not wait till he is ready to give it up? My son had his till he was 2.5 years old and he threw it away because he was done. He hasn't asked for it once really (well he did the next day and I told him no since he threw it away and he said ok). A sippy is just a grown up looking version of the bottle.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:52 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Um...I don't see where anyone said the bottle is evil, nor do I see where anyone is trying to make it so, let alone being obsessed with it.

Your son had one that long...that was up to you. I

It is generally recommended the bottle be gone at about a year because of what it can do to the teeth.
    Anonymous