has your baby ever slept with their eyes wide open

My son is 5 months old and today I caught him sleeping with his eyes completely wide open. This is the second time I have seen him do this. It's kinda strange. Has your child ever done this?

momofpurebliss

Asked by momofpurebliss at 11:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son sleeps with his eyes open. The weirdest thing is he will actually move his eyes and follow you if you go in his room and when you go to tell him to go to sleep he is passed out, but still staring at you. Its creepy, hes 2 now and I hope he stops but his daddy does it too.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 12:07 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• when she was a few weeks old and it was the creepiest thing ever!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 11:28 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My son hasn't slept with both eyes wide open...just one. I sleep with my eyes wide open though sometimes, I have done it since I was a baby. It tends to freak people out lol
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 11:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I sleep with my eyes open sometimes but only partially. I wonder if he will grow up doing this
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 11:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My son and myself , both sleep with our eyes open. I thought we were the only ones.
    Buffie04

Answer by Buffie04 at 11:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• hahaha, that would freak me out sorry to laugh!!!

No, i've never experienced that but i doubt it's uncommon.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:24 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• One day, I went up to check on dd, before we had the video monitor and she was laying there with her eyes half open. Scared the hell out of me!! I felt my stomach drop and I thought . . . well, I don't even want to say it. I nudged her really quick and she squirmed a bit and WHEW . . . . I went in my room and cried a little. Now, when she occasionally does it, I just tap her before I freak myself out.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:12 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• yes. it's an immature muscle in the eyelid. most people grow out of it. it's scary as hell to look at.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:36 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Whoa. Sounds creepy. It sounds normal tho. :)
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 2:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2009