Stay at home moms: Can you help me with ideas on how to make friends??

Hi~
I am a 36 year old stay at home mom. I have three kids. Jason is 5, Cody is 2 & Lilykay is 7 weeks old. And I really do not have any friends. My husband works 6 days a week. I don't know any parents from my son's kindergarten class ( he is in a class with special needs kids & I drive him in every day. ) . All the our neighbors are in their 50's so they don't have kids at home. I have tried Mommy & me classes but, it seems that everybody is in their own little groups and they will not allow anybody in. I am not sure what to do. I am a friendly out going person. My downfall is that I do talk a lot. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? It seems that my mom ( who was a stay at home mom) at my age had lots of friends at this point. As a couple we have two friends, Both of them work so it is really rare that we ever get together at all. I have ran out of ideas! Can you help me! Thanks!
Jennifer
Cottonwood, CA

JENNIFERKNIGHT

Asked by JENNIFERKNIGHT at 11:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• You can check and see if there is a group on here for moms in your area, then go from there. GL :-)
    tscritch

Answer by tscritch at 11:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Does your son's class ever have any type of parties or days where parents can come and volunteer? Or his school in general? Does your community offer any type of classes that you would enjoy (cooking, photography), I know sometimes they offer them once a week (depending on your schedule and your husband's work schedule).

I know it's hard...especially when your husband works six days a week. I am a stay at home mom, and moved about an hour away from my friends and family, and I've yet to really make any friends in this area. My SO is never home due to work and school, so it's usually just the baby and me.
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 11:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Look at the groups here, do a search for local groups. Also try meetup.com they can be really helpful too. I made a ton of friends on meetup.com :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:16 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Being in Kindergarten you can volunteer to help with the PTO. The women that help with that are usually friendly and go out of their way to talk to you since they see you want to be involved. Also I know he is special needs, but have you thought about little league. I know that our teams here accept all kids. We have one boy on our teams that was told he would never walk but does and still has problems here and there but has been playing since Kindergarten. The baseball moms are great, and all the boys go out of their way to be friendly to the kids that have problems playing. Whatever clubs you have in your area are great too.
    cherbear3317

Answer by cherbear3317 at 12:50 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• My public library has a story time for kids and their Mom's. Maybe your's does to!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:16 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I joined a MOPS group. Mothers of preschoolers. I joined through a local Christian church. It a group of women who meet twice a mot=nth for three hours. While toddlers & infants are doing age appropriate activities, with proper child care on premises. Moms get together in a room have brunch, share stories, listen to speakers, nurture themselves it a nice fellowship. I have met some awesome moms we have moms night out, park dates,I really enjoy going. My four year twins enjoy crafts, snack time and playing with other children. Allow your kids to invite friends over this way you will get to meet their parents. I have some dear friends who I met through our daughters.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 2:59 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I'm also part of a MOPS group & it has helped me be a little more social. Before I joined that I found a local CafeMom group that would meet for playdates and later parties and ladies night out stuff. I know what you mean about joining in a group that's already formed so to speak. Sometimes if I miss a few MOPS meetings it feels like everyone has gotten closer, bonded or moved on so it's like I'm the new person all over again.
    My problem is the opposite of yours, I am pretty quiet & shy sometimes so it seems like I'm not very interesting but a lot of it is that I have 3 young kids like you and my brain feels "soft & mushy" sometimes!!
    You have an advantage in that you are outgoing & friendly, try introducing yourself to other moms at the park or the library or if you have a local play area; the worst that can happen is the other moms think you're too talkative! But you could also make a few new friends this way.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 1:34 AM on Apr. 8, 2010