What do I do about my MIL?

My MIL is a wonderful woman, kind,giving and helpful. But, she likes to copy me. Copy everything. I've come into their life a year ago, I'm one for designer things (hence my name lol) I like brand name, I know my makeup and my clothing. My MIL does not, she shops at discount stores and doesn't know who Dior or Chanel are. Well, one day after a trip to a larger city, she had bought a whole bunch of name brand things that I would would wear. She boughtthe same pants I had, even the SAME Juicy Coture velour suit I have..same colour and style. She started doing her hair like me, even dyed it black to match. She bought the same dinner ware I have, does her make up like me ( this woman is 40 and I'am 21 - big difference.) She comes out to the bar with me and my friends, just happens to show up that same night, dressed like a 20 something. Now is it just me or would you too, be just as annoyed as me? CONTINUED

DesignerMom0801

Asked by DesignerMom0801 at 11:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• She even called up MY BESTFRIEND to hang out at the MALL with her. My SO has told me to just be flattered and ignore it but I can't. She hadn't visited me for awhile and the other day she shows up in dress pants and a nice shirt, usually how I"m dressed right? Well here I'am in my yoga pants and a tank top doing house cleaning. Well the very next day she come over.. and guess what's she's wearing... yoga pants and a tank top with a yoga zip up hoodie over it. She even went and bought the shoes I had by the door that day.
    Now call em crazy but isn't that going a bit too far?
    Like the woman is 40 trying to dress like a 21 year old.. isn't that a bit inapropriate? When She goes to the ba she's got her tummy hanging out (she's not fit enough for that..not to be rude..)
    I mean she just looks..sad.
    What should I do?
    I can't really just be like ummm can you stop being like me?
    ugh help!!
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 11:55 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I would be annoyed also.. My own mom used to do that too. Until one day i sat her down and told her i didn't like having a twin even if she was my mother... After that she stopped. I really don't know what to say about your MIL...You could tell her but I don't know how sensitive she is. Maybe you can go to dinner with her and say I don't want to hurt your feeling but........ and then just tell her!!! :) Hope i helped :)
    KeeleysMa

Answer by KeeleysMa at 11:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Umm...that sounds really strange. It started out looking innocent enough. Like she likes your sense of style and wasn't sure how to make it her own so just copied straight. But then it got creepy. Showing up at the bar, calling your friends, buying the same out fit a day later. Do you think she might have a serious mental problem? She sounds obsessed with you. Like she wants to be you. I don't know how you should address it, but I don't think you're over reacting. The behavior is not normal at all. I would be frightened. If you confront her, make sure you are not alone. Keep your hubby with you.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:14 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Try approaching it from a different angle. Obviously she really likes your style. Ask her out to go shopping, and help her pick age appropriate things. Tell her you noticed that she is trying to change her image and that you love doing makeovers. Maybe that will help you to understand her better? I don't know, but I say it's worth a shot.
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:52 AM on Feb. 7, 2009