What age can you start time outs?

my 19 month old girl wont stop hitting and throwing fits. she knows its bad to hit and when she does i yell no and tell her hitting is bad. she gives me that attitude look and sometimes does it again! i don't know if shes able to sit in one spot and not move for a period of time. any ideas?

AvasMommy628

Asked by AvasMommy628 at 12:34 AM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I guess she's not still in a crib?

Maybe try sitting her on a chair facing the wall or a corner for a minute or two?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• You could try swatting instead. Just a light swat on the bottom to show that you mean business...and only after she's misbehaved again.
    Anonymous

• IMO she is old enough for time out. Have a specific chair or spot. At first, you will have to keep explaining and sit her back down. At this age a time out can be REALLY short but still have an effect. I think when my daughter was that age her time outs were like 1 minute or so and after a while she started not getting them very often because I would say " If you don't " you are going to have time out ( or something like that).
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 12:43 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• "You could try swatting instead. Just a light swat on the bottom to show that you mean business...and only after she's misbehaved again"

I disagree. Time outs with a lot of verbal explanation work just as well or better.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 12:46 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Disagree if you like. To each their own. Sometimes time outs will work, and sometimes they won't.

<--Early childhood development student.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• To each their own is something I can agree with. I have personally taken 2 psychology classes and 2 early childhood development classes and have never read or heard a professor say that swatting a child is good for them so I am unsure as to what that has to do with the point.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 1:23 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Remember that hitting and fits are normal at this age. When your child hits you, don't yell, but calmly say No Thank You and put her down or walk away from her. If you know why she's hitting you, tell her you know she is angry because xxx, but hitting is a bad choice. Give her a good choice that she can do when she is angry - hitting a pillow, for instance. I don't know that traditional time-outs work well at this stage, but just walking away is the same for your child - she wants to be with you, but hitting makes you walk away, which is NOT what she wants. So help her achieve what she wants appropriately. Don't swat her to stop hitting you because then the mixed message of I can't hit you, but you can hit me simply won't make sense to a child. Patience, practice, do-overs, re-direction - these are some of the best techniques to use at this stage. Also, it's important to start teaching her emotion words to use.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 1:37 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• We started time outs when they first became mobile...so about 6 months. They were obviously modified at that age to sitting on my lap away from what they were getting into..for about 30 seconds...but by the time they turned a year, it was a regular time out.

Yes...it can work at your daughter's age.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:46 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• DS started time out at about 12mo. It is working pretty good. If we warn him he will get it, he will usually stop doing whatever it is he isn't suppose to be doing.
    We have a spacific spot for it and we take away anything around him that he could play with. It usually lasts for 1-2 mins.
    tln1

Answer by tln1 at 7:31 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• i just put my daughter in her crib and i know she will cry.. so leave her for 5 mins and explain to her that no hitting and that she has to listen to me..

my daughter hate to be put into crib when she wanted to play
    but of course they don really understand hitting is not game or something to do at that age.
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 11:30 AM on Feb. 7, 2009