Should I put rice cereal in bottles and at what age?

I have heard from the doctors never ever to put cereal in bottles, and that they shouldnt be fed it until theyre 4 months because of food alergies. But I know my sister did it with both of her kids. My son is two months old. He sleeps mostly through the night. From about tenish until 7am.

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 12:38 AM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son's doctor told me that the only reason ever put cereal in a bottle would be to thicken the feed because the child is puking up the food. That being said I wouldn't start cereal until at least 4 months of age.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 12:40 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Your babies stomach can only hold so much...formula or cereal it doesnt matter, it wont make him sleep longer. And it isnt good to start food before the doc tells you too...I would just wait
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:42 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• i started my son on it when he was 1 month and my sisiter did the same with her kids we just did a little by a little
    Jamie231724

Answer by Jamie231724 at 12:44 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• you should never put cereal in a bottle. just because someone else did it, doesn't mean it's right. and just because they didn't have problems, doesn't mean you won't. i don't understand why people want to rush babies into things. they are babies! they have the rest of their lives to eat things. solids shouldn't be started until 6 months, at least. but if you are giving formula, why not add cereal?!? they are both junk...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• It's a choking hazard. The answer is NEVER. Your baby sleeps great.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:22 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• It was just a question, no need for people to get testie. Im not rushing my baby into anything. I just wanted an idea of who all feed their babies cereal.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 1:29 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• i put cereal in my babies bottle, and it never hurt him.I started him on it at 3mths.The only reason my dr told me not to was cuz he would prefer me give it him with a spoon.I think its fine, and yes it does help them sleep
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I just started a couple of weeks ago to give my almost 5,5 months old cereal/formula mix in a bottle about 2 - 3 times a day. Besides that, I'm still breastfeeding. As of when to start: I was told to give nothing else until 6 months and than again, you hear something different, so it can get a little confusing sometimes. However, I came to believe, that the time to start giving solids doesn't as much depend on the babies age only, but more on the stage of development. My daughter has been sitting with almost no help for about 6 weeks already and pretty much has been sleeping through the night almost from birth (LUCKY ME). Basically, I just went with my gut - and she is doing just great!
    colette365

Answer by colette365 at 3:21 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Don't mess with a good thing!! Good gravy!! He's already sleeping through the night why do you want to mess with that!?

If you want to do something just because someone else did it...that's up to you. But there is no need for it. If you want to start cereal this early (before a pediatrician's recommendation) then use a bowl and spoon.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:27 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• It sounds like all you want is for someone to say it is ok so you can feel secure in a decision you know is wrong. If someone else jumped off a bridge would you follow? It is dangerous and lazy (unless directed by doctor which btw they determine if the risk out weighs the alternative) to feed a child cereal in a bottle. You yourself have noted that everything points to no way but yet you still want to? Obviously the choice is yours but you already know the answer. If you want to put your child at risk then that is your choice. Just because one person rolled the dice and won doesn't mean your precious one will be that lucky. I personally do everything to avoid risks with my child but you do what you are determined to do.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Feb. 7, 2009