Bottle nipples, and how long should it take to drink a bottle?

My son is 2 months old and sometimes it seems like it takes him forever to drink his bottles. Sometimes about half hour, he does about 4 to 5 ounces. But then there are other times it takes him closer to an hour to drink it. But im nervous that the fast flow nipples will be too fast for him. When should you switch and how long should it take him to eat?

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 12:40 AM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It should take as long as it takes. **smile** Is the baby only bottle fed? Then go with the age info on the nipple packages. If breastfed at all, cut your serving size and you will NEVER move off the newborn nipple.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:22 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Well, when it started to take like a half an hour, we switched. I breastfed until 3 months, so I would say that we probably switched at about 4 months. I remember, because I didn't like the regular bottles and switched to drop ins a couple weeks after we bought all the new nipples. They were then useless, because they didn't fit on the Playtex Nurser bottles. Just try it, if it seems to much for baby, then wait a little longer. You'll be able to tell if he's ready for it.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:09 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• It should not take that long. He's going to start burning more than he's taking in (we went down that road with my youngest....)

Some bottles do have a medium flow now. Or better yet...look for a variable flow. It goes more with a baby's suck. However, if yo need to move to the fast flow, just keep him more upright at first, and hold the bottle more level (horizontal, parallel to the floor) until he "gets" it. He's probably (if he's like mine) sucking pretty hard on the slow flow and he's going to suck just as hard on the faster flow (no matter which one you get)...and he will gag on the first try! (ever suck on a clogged straw and then suddenly it let loose? lol)

The age information on the packages are for guidelines...as is the information on the packages of pacifiers. Babies do NOT know how to follow the guidelines exactly!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:23 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I gave her the fast tip nipples whenever there was cereal in the bottle until I realized slow nipples were taking FOREVER (more than 20 mins) and I gave her the fast ones for regular nipples. If a fast nipple makes the formula come out of the sides of his mouth but slow takes too long, there are medium. I never used those tho.
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 2:05 PM on Feb. 7, 2009