Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Would you have this animal put to sleep? need advice

our guinea pig has been sick for a long time. our vet says she knows there is something wrong with him by the look of his coat. he has had mites many times and we treated them. we've given him plenty of vit c and it never helped. We noticed a few months ago that he lost his squeek and also that he has kind of shrunk in size, though he has kept his appetite. Last night he started having seizures and this morning he has been huddled in the corner making a wheezing noise. what could be wrong with him. I made him an appt at noon to be seen..but i think this is possibly the end for him. would you just go ahead and have this animal put to sleep with all thats been going on knowing his time is probably coming soon or spend the money in meds trying to get him better..he is already 4 yrs old and maybe its just his time? idk, need advice.

Answer Question

Asked by shay1130 at 10:29 AM on Sep. 17, 2012 in Pets

Level 27 (32,809 Credits)
Answers (17)
  • hard

    Answer by WHITELIGHTJENNY at 9:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2012

  • It sounds like he needs medical help, not a death sentence. He's only 4 years old. How would you feel if when you had a flu, someone recommended that you be put to sleep forever? Owning a pet includes a commitment to caring for it.

    Answer by hellokittykat at 2:36 AM on Sep. 20, 2012

  • Yes, I think your pet needs to be put down.We went thru the same thing with our dog Hus.He was hugging the wall, figured going blind.Took to vet got pills to help.BTW he also had a few seizures/ accidents. Our dog was never going to have a normal life back. He was 12 yo when
    we decided to put him down. I know what u r going thru.Hang in there.I am sure you will decide what is right for you and pet. Good Luck.Hugs!!

    Answer by momw2teens522 at 6:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2012

  • well, the vet didnt want to put him down because she saw he was still active and a healthy weight. She says his heart sounded normal and she didnt hear wheezing so i don't know what really could be wrong. She did pull a bunch of gunk out of his ears and put some mineral oil in them and he went crazy flopping over on his side like he was in pain when she did that so that could be some of his problems..or maybe just another problem.. but we still don't know what couldve caused the seizure. she just sent me home with antibiotics and anticonvulsants and told me to come again in 2 days to let her check on his ear situation. I just hope if he does die its not going to be a terrible seizure seen that my son has to witness.

    Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2012

  • Yes. My guinea pig had a stroke. He didn't last but a couple days after that. We even took him to the vet and paid like $90.00 for IV's. He still died the next day. He was so bad he would tip over..... Then he had a seizure and died. So sad...............

    Answer by m-avi at 11:36 AM on Sep. 17, 2012

  • It sounds as though he is suffering. I would decide to put him down if he was mine. I know it is a hard decision to make. I have had to make it with several cats in the last few years. Big hugs to you and your family.

    Answer by coala at 11:12 AM on Sep. 17, 2012

  • It sounds to me like he's getting fairly old. Something else you have to think about is the cost of trying to keep him alive. I realize that we take responsibility for our pets when we get them but we also have to consider if the cost comes at a cost to the family as well. Paying a vet bill versus paying your electric bill, your child's dr bill, etc. Having your children watch him suffer & die regardless of what you try. Sounds as if you've already tried with the vet but if he seems to be suffering then I'd have him put down.

    Answer by baconbits at 11:11 AM on Sep. 17, 2012

  • thanks everyone.. i feel like it is his time too but i am going to let the vet be the one to decide so i don't carry the guilt.

    Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Sep. 17, 2012

  • It seems like he is suffering. I would probably put him to sleep, yes.

    Answer by ajc03 at 10:50 AM on Sep. 17, 2012

  • I'm sorry but it sounds like it is time to let him go. It is a hard decision to make and even harder to carry through with.


    Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:46 AM on Sep. 17, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.