Would you have this animal put to sleep? need advice

our guinea pig has been sick for a long time. our vet says she knows there is something wrong with him by the look of his coat. he has had mites many times and we treated them. we've given him plenty of vit c and it never helped. We noticed a few months ago that he lost his squeek and also that he has kind of shrunk in size, though he has kept his appetite. Last night he started having seizures and this morning he has been huddled in the corner making a wheezing noise. what could be wrong with him. I made him an appt at noon to be seen..but i think this is possibly the end for him. would you just go ahead and have this animal put to sleep with all thats been going on knowing his time is probably coming soon or spend the money in meds trying to get him better..he is already 4 yrs old and maybe its just his time? idk, need advice.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 10:29 AM on Sep. 17, 2012 in Pets

• Sounds like his suffering really needs to be ended. I would go ahead & put him down.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 10:35 AM on Sep. 17, 2012

• Yes if they were suffering.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:37 AM on Sep. 17, 2012

• Izsarejman knows a lot about guinea pigs. If she doesn't respond send her a pm.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 10:37 AM on Sep. 17, 2012

• I would not have him put to sleep until I exhausted all routes to find out what was wrong. Blood work. X-rays. Ultrasounds.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:38 AM on Sep. 17, 2012

• It's time, don't let him suffer anymore.

I am sorry....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:38 AM on Sep. 17, 2012

• IMO
    He is at the end of his days.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:40 AM on Sep. 17, 2012

• Guineas only live an average of about 5 years, so yours is getting up there. The weight loss and wheezing don't sound like easy fixes, especially if it's his heart or maybe cancer.

I'd consider letting the vet give a final opinion, but it treatment will only extend his life a short period or if he is suffering, let him go.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:40 AM on Sep. 17, 2012

• I'm sorry but it sounds like it is time to let him go. It is a hard decision to make and even harder to carry through with.

~hugs~
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:46 AM on Sep. 17, 2012

• It seems like he is suffering. I would probably put him to sleep, yes.
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 10:50 AM on Sep. 17, 2012

• thanks everyone.. i feel like it is his time too but i am going to let the vet be the one to decide so i don't carry the guilt.
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Sep. 17, 2012