Breastfeeding AT (After Teeth)

Hi moms -- so I have a question for you.

My daughter is just a few days shy of being 9 months old. Just about a week and a half ago she cut her first tooth, now she has I believe 5 of them. I am having a bit of a time with breastfeeding now as those things are razor sharp! (This wasn't a problem with DS because I'd had to wean him to a bottle long before he cut teeth)

I would love to BF until at LEAST 1 year, but it's getting to be kind of uncomfortable, borderline painful every time. And yes, I've read that a baby can't "bite" and "suck" at the same time... but I wonder if those babies maybe had their teeth on the bottom (as I hear this is because the tongue gets in the way?) My DD has 3 possibly all 4 now clean through of her TOP teeth, just one in the very front on the bottom.

Thanks moms, I sure do appreciate the input!

Bazora

Asked by Bazora at 12:48 AM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• there is a group called breastfeeding moms, the one with almost 22000 members. there is a sticky called, when babies attack. it has a bunch of suggestions from moms. i don't have advice since dd just cut her first tooth, and we haven't had any issues yet. good luck, and keep up the good work momma!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 1:01 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• oh i remember those days OUCHHHHIIEESS, i breastfed two of mine till almost 3 years each and wow can they get you, just as they start to fall asleep and bam mom gets bitten, best thing to do is notice when it happens mine always did as they fell asleep so i made sure to keep them from falling asleep while feeding them. thats really the only thing i had to try i dont have much advice other than that sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I had a friend who bit her child back. Not hard enough to really cause harm, just enough to shock her and she didn't bite again. My SO's mom said she did the same thing. I don't have any personal experience, b/c I exclusively pumped.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:32 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• My daugher here and there bits me when she doesn't want to be breastfed but shes 10 months. When she does that I say very sternly NO NO thats not nice. But when she does want to breastfed sometimes I can feel her teeth, and I try to move her or I move some. Sometimes that works, if that doesn't I have to remove my breast, and have her relatch on, and that usually does the trick. So I would just try to makes sure you and her are both positioned right. Good luck!! If worse comes to worse just pump and give it to her in a bottle!!
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 8:20 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• What I do is remove my daughter from the breast... sometimes to get her to release I will pinch her nose a bit. Startles her. Then I close up my shirt and set her down. Wont let her back at the boob for a couple minutes. It usually helps for quite a while (although right now not as much, but she is teething.)

Good luck!
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 9:29 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I have breastfed my kids while they had a whole mouth of teeth (up to 2 years) Whenever they start to bite push their head into your breast a bit and they will let go. Then put your breast away for a few seconds. Your baby will realize that biting results in it being taken away and will stop doing so.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 10:22 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• my 15mos old has teeth on top and bottom. If the latch gets lazy, it can hurt a little. Just readjust and you'll be fine. Don't let it make you quit.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:58 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Keep adjusting the latch. Make sure she opens VERY wide. My son had a bit of this after he got bottom teeth becasue he had developed a lazy latch. He's 23 months now with 16 teeth and you can't feel his teeth at all when he nurses. I also second the idea of the BFIng support group, others there can help you as well.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:41 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• A baby cannot have a proper open mouth latch and bite at the same time. If they have a lazy latch (which they tend to get from time to time as they get older) their teeth can "rub" and that HURTS! Unlatch and relatch, encouraging baby to open their mouth all the way. If they do actually bite tell them no, unlatch and put them down for a minute. Then offer to nurse. They'll quickly learn that biting means no nursing.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 11:15 PM on Feb. 7, 2009