If it's a good story, does grammar and punctuation really matter to readers?

The author of 50 Shades is on and her writing is horrible. Clearly that doesn't matter to the billions of people buying and reading her books. So does grammar and punctuation matter to readers?

uwmilf

Asked by uwmilf at 7:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2012 in Just for Fun

• To me it does, depending on the extent of the issues. If it is a few mistakes here and there, whatever, but if you can barely understand it (like some of the posts on here), I am going to be bothered to attempt reading it.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2012

• I did not like the repetitive writing. I think "Inner Goddess" was said over 100 times.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 7:36 PM on Sep. 17, 2012

• Should say I am NOT going to be bothered.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:36 PM on Sep. 17, 2012

• I can't think of a way to say this without sounding bitchy, so I'm just going to say it. It doesn't matter to her target audience, which is hardly a reflection of the audience for most books. Yes, a lot of "mainstream" people ended up picking it up, but that was, and will always be Twilight fanfiction. The fact that they changed the names of the characters before publishing, does not change the fact that she only ever meant to to be read by people extremely obsessed with Twilight.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:38 PM on Sep. 17, 2012

• The same thing was said about Twilight but I found "See Spot Run" to be more enthralling and written much better.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:38 PM on Sep. 17, 2012

• It depends on how bad it is but yes it would bother me if it was too much
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2012

• An error here or there is understandable. Books written so poorly that you're constantly having to go back and re-read something to read it as it was meant instead of how it was written (i.e. the difference between "I ate shit and took a shower" and "I ate, shit, and took a shower."), it gets irritating to me.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2012

• I don't read crappy literature
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2012

• Because "he puts his hands around her waste" does not conjure up romantic images.   KWIM!

Here is a good example of how something simple like a capital letter can change the whole meaning of a sentence.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:11 PM on Sep. 17, 2012

• given the subject named (or Twilight, for that matter)..isn't grammar/punctuation the editor's job? i'm not saying the lady is a good writer, by any stretch of the imagination, but really..if her book is poorly written with the issue of grammar/etc., the editing should've cleaned it up before publishing.
    the alleged (because i haven't, nor will i ) bad writing being knowingly published speaks volumes (pun intended) about the publisher, as well as the 'author'. jmho.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2012