How old was your son when..

... when you started letting him go to the restroom by himself? My son is six and a half, and depending on what kind of establishment we're at, I'll let him go to the bathroom by himself. That's not to say I'll send him into a super busy Walmart bathroom alone, but if we're at McDonald's and he has to go, I'll get him go by himself. My mom thinks it's terrible, because he could get molested or something in the bathroom, and I got worried that maybe he's too young. How old was your boy when you let him go to the restroom alone?

prinzesstephi

Asked by prinzesstephi at 2:35 AM on Feb. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• If it is like a single toilet in a locking room, like you would find in a home, he goes in on his own and I wait outside. And he is 7. If there are multiple stalls, I will use the family one if available or I will take him into the women's with me. He goes into the stall alone, but I stand right outside it or by the door of the restroom so that I can see everything that goes on. My husband does the same thing. I am not sure when that will change.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:48 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I would take him into the woman's restroom still and stand outside the stall. I am a very overprotective mom. I am just worried at how my SO will handle out DD out in public when she is potty trained.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:13 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• My son is just about 6 and Im kinda the same, no way at a place like walmart but smaller places Illlet him go by humself and wait outside the bathrooms. I figure he does it by himself at school. But I often question this myself. I also kida judged by the YMCA they say you son cant go into the womens dressing rooms after 5. I am still not ognna let him go into the mens and get dress himself yet. Sorry, lol. Going pee is a little different since its quick and you would know if he didt come out right away that somehting might be wrong.
    evansmom03

Answer by evansmom03 at 10:29 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• My son was about that age when we started letting him go in certain places...usually restaurants we visit a lot and aren't busy. He's 7 now. He would never be allowed to go into a bathroom at a busy wal-mart or mall alone.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:00 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• My son was probably about 6 or 7, but I still waited right outside. I told him that if anyone ever bothered him in the bathroom to yell and I would hear him.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 4:44 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I still make my 11yro son come in the ladies room with me. I am terrified to let him go in a public bathroom alone! He is really starting to make a fuss about it. I know i could stand outside the men's .WE had a murder in our state ...10 gyro kid goes into public bathroom while his mom waits for him right outside the door....She waits and waits so finally she goes in there to find that her son's throat had been slashed! The perpetrator kills this kid without a sound and goes out the window! TERRIFYING!!! So i make him come in there with me. Does anyone feel like they would be offended to see a shy embarrased looking 11yro in the ladies room!?
    sweetheartpink

Answer by sweetheartpink at 12:59 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Yeah, I'm not sure if it's something my mother is exaggerating or made up, but apparently in the Portland area when my brothers were little (they're both in their forties now) there was a man who was chopping of boys penises in public restrooms... that kind of thing, or even just him seeing something inappropriate (drug deals, drug using, ect) worries me greatly.
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 3:14 AM on Feb. 9, 2009