Cleaning cat boxes!

i'm pregnant and have been told to stay away from our cat boxes. My husband cleans them now but he does not do a very good job at it and he has only been doing it once a week..(scooping and everything) I ask him to scoop every night and he says he will but never does. My biggist concern is that this could cause harm to the baby. Not only that but towards the end of the week the smell gets bad. Can you get toxoplasmosis scooping and dumping only once a week? And any ideas of how i can talk him into scooping more often? I'm thinking of asking the doctor to say something about it but that still another 3 wks out. i want this done asap.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Sep. 18, 2012 in Pets

• My husband was like that too. I just changed the litter myself. I heard that if your cats are indoor cats, there is no harm.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:41 AM on Sep. 18, 2012

• If you're concerned go to the local store and buy a household dust mask and some gloves and change the litter yourself. Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly when you are done.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:45 AM on Sep. 18, 2012

• You're actually safe enough if you wash your hands thoroughly afterwards and wear a mask while you're doing it. Scoop and dump as often as you like providing you're washing and wearing a mask.

Also, you're at less of a risk if your cat is an indoor cat.

Have you considered simply asking your doctor to test you for toxo? You might find that you're already immune in which case you have no worries. It's a simple blood test.

I live in a country where they reckon 2/3 of cats carry toxo. We get tested for it when we get pregnant. If you are not immune, you get tested every month to be sure. Should you become infected, they treat you for it. Simple as that.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 9:46 AM on Sep. 18, 2012

• If you've had cats for any length of time you have likely already had toxoplasmosis without knowing it, thus making you immune. Wear gloves and wash your hands but you should be fine changing the litter box.

Answer by missanc at 9:51 AM on Sep. 18, 2012

• Excuse my spelling, not much time :)

Toxoplasmosis is an infection caused by a parasite, correct?
    We got some Diatomaceous Earth (you can drink it even when pregnant or nursing, they actually recommend it) and give the cats to it in their water. It does many amazing things (and it's just VERY old microscopic sea life) and keeps parasites away.
    Seeing as something like 50% of children and 80% of Americans have intestinal parasites, it's a wise thing to take.
    We give it to our children and take it ourselves. I changed the cat boxes because of exactly what you described with my husband, and my doctor even okayed it because of the D.E. :)
    Mrs.J.

Answer by Mrs.J. at 9:18 PM on Sep. 19, 2012

• if u cleaned b 4 preg than its ok, if u didnt then dont
    WHITELIGHTJENNY

Answer by WHITELIGHTJENNY at 9:51 PM on Oct. 1, 2012