Help

My 2 year old son does not listen to anything. His father and I will tell him not to do things, but it doesn't work. I just don't know what to, we will be out and he will start screaming and throw himself on the floor if he doesn't get his own way. We have tried to give him time outs or take things away from him, send him to his room. But nothing works. Can someone out there please tell me what to do? Thanks.

For example: opening the dishwasher and taking steak knife out (there is no lock on the dishwasher), playing in the garbage can

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Sep. 18, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know a lot of moms are going to yell at me for saying this but a good swift spanking on the tush would do a world of good. Saying NO and not following through with some kind of punishment doesn't do anything. Saying NO and punishing says something to him. He has to learn consequences for his actions. He is testing you to see what he can get away with. A nice spanking will teach him he can't. Be proactive in your disciplining. You have to physically pick him up and remove him from a situation. IF he yells in the supermarket, leave the cart and go outside with him. Next time don't take him. Looking embarrassed is not going to help the situation.

(BTW putting steak knives in the dishwasher ruins the knives. Always hand wash knives!!!)
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 12:39 PM on Sep. 18, 2012

• DD used to throw tantrums at the store. If she's walking, I walk away. Not so far that I can't run to her if she needs me, but far enough away that she thinks I'm going to leave. She'll run right up to me and I tell her, " I don't hear you when your wailing like a loopy monkey. Talk to me like big girl." Tantrums are rare now. Mainly when she is tired, and you just have to be a little understanding with that.

As far as things at home go. When she does something I tell her no and explain why she can't do it. If she does it again, like that same day, I tell her no again. The third time I tell her that she hurt me because I thought she was my big girl, I put her in her high chair with baby blocks (she hates em), and tell her this is what babies do all day. I get a fight for about 30 minutes. then it's over.

Now all I have to is say, "do you need a baby seat?" and she falls in line.

Get creative mama!! GL
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 12:36 PM on Sep. 18, 2012

• persistence! He's testing you. Stick with it
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 12:37 PM on Sep. 18, 2012

• Easily pop his butt and say no
    WHITELIGHTJENNY

Answer by WHITELIGHTJENNY at 2:29 PM on Sep. 30, 2012