Bath time

When I give my 10 month old daughter a bath I usually just put her Bumbo seat in the tub. Well now she doesn't want to sit in there and arches to back to get out. So okay I can deal with her just sitting in the bath tub, but when she gets out of her seat she doesn't want to sit. She crawling around, standing up on the sides, and even tries to climb out. I know she's safe because I'm there the whole time, but it just makes bath time that much harder. With one hand I'm washing her, and with the other holding on to her so she won't slip. Is there something I can do, or is this just how bathtime is going to be?

Trishy7

Asked by Trishy7 at 7:56 AM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let her crawl around because it's fun, but don't let her stand. If she stands then sit her back down and say "No-no." When she crawls, just keep an eye on her. It's never too early to teach a child not to stand in the bath. It's very dangerous. Maybe if she had a toy in the tup that she has to sit down for?? Then she might be more interested in sitting.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:01 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• OO she has a bunch of toys in there, but she seems more interested with the shampoo, and whats outside of the bath. I forgot to put that in my question
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 8:08 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I got an elmo bath pad for the bathtub. It helps keep her from slipping.

You could get a bubble machine to hook on the wall. that might keep her interested. Get her a spray bottle if you want. My daughter is absolutely fascinated by little squirt bottles. Don't let her play with it except for bath time, and that might keep her interested (but you might get sprayed).

She's getting more and more curious. It does make things difficult but it's also so much fun! :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:32 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't use the Bumbo in the tub. My aunt was using it with her granddaughter and because of the air pocket in the bottom, it trapped the air and when she moved her hand off of it, it tried to float and tipped back with the baby in it. Mine even warns that it isn't for tub use. I'm not lecturing to judge you, just giving you a warning from experience...

I would get some of the grippy things for the bottom of the tub to help your lo get traction and then let her play away. She won't always be at an age where bath time is fun, so enjoy that something as simple as running some water and stripping her down amuses her at this point. Make sure the adult shampoo and things that could be toxic are out of reach and let her play!
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 9:34 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• It says right on the bottom of the Bumbo NOT TO USE IT IN THE BATHTUB!

But that's not the point. I just had to say it.

I agree with the previous answer: try to get a toy that requires her to sit to play with it. Get one that has a suction cup to attach to the bottom of the tub. Or those foam letters that attach to the tub walls when they get wet. My mom said she had some kind of ring that I sat in when I was in the tub so I couldn't move around too much, but I've never been able to find it.
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 2:02 PM on Feb. 7, 2009