Breastmilk going bad?

How can you tell when breastmilk has gone bad without tasting it? I pump and hubby uses it to feed our youngest from time to time. But I worry a bit as to whether or not it is still good since he lets it sit out for a bit first.

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 8:53 AM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it should not sit out at room temperature for more than an hour. it should not be in the fridge (fresh) for more than a day or two. frozen in a breastmilk bag, it can keep for a couple months in a regular freezer, and 6 months in a deep freezer. if frozen and then refrigerated to thaw, no more than one day.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 9:06 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• See, everything I have read says that it can stay in the fridge for up to a week and out at room temperature for like 8 hours but then one thing I read says what you are. Hence the confusion.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:11 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Breastmilk can be out for 8 hours if it is freshly pumped. I think an hour if it has been in the fridge first.
    And if I remember everything right
    8 days in the fridge if fresh
    24 hours if thawed
    3-6- months in the freezer
    6-12months - in the deep freeze
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:28 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Ladies, don't post on this one without checking your facts. Everything says fresh pumped can stay at room tempetarture for 10 hours, in the fridge for 7-8 days, in a fridge with a door for 3-4 months, and a depp freeze for 6 months. Here is the link to check times and temperatures of storage:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 9:29 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

the best site ever for breastfeeding info. Just copy and paste the url :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:29 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• the book i have says, up to 10 hours on the counter.. but i never got that far with it.. 6-8 was my norm... 2-3 days in the fridge... and then heat in a pan then use, as for freezers i have some bags that are still in there and i will be giving them to my son today because he has a bit of a cold...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:57 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• the guidelines for storing human milk have changed and do depend somewhat on what site and research you look at. it is confusing, which is very unfortunate. part of the confusion comes from the way "public health bulletins" are done - they boil it down to the most conservative, "stupid-proof" message possible when, in reality, the boundaries are far wider. hope this helps:

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBstorage.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Feb. 7, 2009