• In the Spotlight:

Has anyone actually read the stimulas package content?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I only read what the Republicans wanted to take out. For example, they said purchasing $150 million in hybrid cars for federal employees to conduct official government business was pork. But, here's my thinking on it: Where do we get cars from? How are the cars made? What are they made with? Where do they get those items? Who puts the car together? Who sells the cars? What makes the car run? How are the cars maintained? I also think the idea of purchasing hybrids cars is to stimulate the alternative power industry as well. Which is very much needed for DoD, National Security issues, and oil independence. The stimulus is trying to reach various sectors and industries. The spending shouldn't be concentrated.

But I can see how Republicans were thinking with some of these items were crazy or unnecessary because they are just thinking surface level and not really analyzing the real effects - the process to get from point A to B.
    prettylob1

Answer by prettylob1 at 9:24 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I thought the same thing about the cars...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• First, we have to have a way to produce the car. The factory, worker, parts, battery terminals and so on. None of that stuff is on-board. It would be useless to okay this spending and have to send the money overseas to be manufactured. That will not help our economy. That is where the auto industry should be developing. With some of the money they got as bailout.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 9:31 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Foreverb3, do you live in a third world country or just under a rock? We would buy them from American car companies like Ford, Saturn, Chevy that already have hybrid cars and SUVs. Hybrid cars are not in development stage, they are in the consumer stage - being sold and bought. Helllloooo!

Oh, and Ford didn't take any bailout money...
    prettylob1

Answer by prettylob1 at 9:40 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• No, I do not live in a third world country. Where are they made? Where are the parts made? Where are the battery terminals located? Why did the Big 3 need a bailout if they are selling these cars?
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 9:41 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• OMG! Are you serious? I can't do this anymore... I will say the Ford Escape Hybrid is made in Kansas City, MO.
    prettylob1

Answer by prettylob1 at 9:48 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Yes. I am a part of a political action group. We divided it up amongst 7 of us highlighted the pork and contacted elected officials to vote against it.

Most of it belonged on Appropriations Bills, NOT a Stimulus Bill. There IS A DIFFERENCE.

Why do you ask?
    And, prettylob1 Your argument is for SHORT TERM Stimulation. It speaks NOTHING of Long term stimulation beyond 2010-2012. Even the CBO (prettylob1 assuming you know who that is) has said that there is not evidence that this spending will help and may hurt the GDP.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:52 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• grlygrlz2 .....If you were asking th OP the reason i posted the question because i see some people on here just answer w/o knowing all the facts or what the medua tells them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• prettylob1~~~~You attacked ME and you can't do this????? Why??? I guess you think that these questions are stupid but for those of us looking for long-term solutions, these are reasonable questions. Because, as you may already know, just the creation of the battery terminals that will need to be located all over the country on each and every highway, in each and every state would bring thousands of jobs.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 9:57 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• gotcha. Now the new stimulus I haven't read yet. It is still being written by Ried's office. So we shall see. thx
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:57 AM on Feb. 7, 2009