Exercising and no diet?

I have been working out for close to a month now. I do the eliptical and/or zumba class plus weights 5 times a week! I have not really changed my diet! I haven't lost anything! Wouldn't you think i would still lose a little weight with doing all this cardio?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Ya you would think! But Ur gonna prob just maintain ur weight W/out eating right! Im trying to lose weight too, its hard though! Today Iam motivated to go workout.. Im gonna run/walk while my daug rides her bike! Good luck.... I think eating right is also harder 4 me as well. I gotta stop with all the cokes I drink.
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 9:58 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• It depends on a few thing.. first off.. congratulations on working out!

If you do not lose weight right away it could be because you are converting fat to muscle.. and muscle weights more than fat..

you will eventually see that your cloths fit better and you are tone.

You could be sabotaging your workouts by eating poorly. However I find that within reason if I burn enough calories I can eat whatever I want. I do avoid eating certain foods. I'm not likely to eat that candy bar or potato chips because I understand just how many miles it is going to take for me to run the calories off.

Also I find that not eating past 8pm really helps. Not eating after dinner is even better.

Stay with it!! Good Luck!!

3gr8tKids

Answer by 3gr8tKids at 10:22 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• you could be losing fat while gaining muscle
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• No. If you work out you will eat more - just of the same diet.

A few tips would be to start chaning a few things. The first thing I would change is fruit consumption. Eat lots of fruit before every meal and after your work outs...as much as you desire.

You can then move this on to making sure you get a large green salad in to your daily food consumption. Greens help with cravings.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I had the same problem, until someone told me to quit doing the elliptical and run on the treadmill instead. You burn more calories on the treadmill. I like the elliptical better, but once I switched to the treadmill, I finally started losing weight. Try that.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:57 AM on Feb. 8, 2009