Friends child bad influence on my daughter!

My daughter is usually on very good behavior and when we go out in public with my best friend and her son, she acts just like him! She wants to run around in restaurants and be loud and my nerves end up being shot! What do I do? Not go out with them or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• Put your foot down and tell her no. Discipline her if she does it again. If it gets to be too much, leave and go home. She's probably at that age where she isn't going to understand why she isn't allowed to act like that but HE is. His mom needs to put an end to the behavior too. If she won't, then don't go out with them.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:58 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• First off how old is your daughter and your best friends son? My kids are all teens or older.

Sometimes children are drawn to kids that are more adventurous and naughty. They find them to be "exciting" to be around. This was the case when my kids were younger.

Can you have a talk with your daughter about what is acceptable before you go out with this mom and son..  you can refer back to your discussion while you are out.. with out going into any details that would make the mom son couple uncomfortable.

I used to say "honey remember that talk we had earlier today?"

3gr8tKids

Answer by 3gr8tKids at 10:02 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• You are the Mother put the kid in her place. Me, I would tell the other Mom to control her kid, ESPECIALLY in public. That is just me tho. I would want to enjoy my meal without worrying about someones kid disrupting my meal and believe me I have gone up to a Mom and got in her face about her kid. She gets pissy but oh well. I want to enjoy myself.
    JanuaryRayne

Answer by JanuaryRayne at 10:19 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• depending on the age of your daughter it may work to sit down with her before these encounters with the little boy and explain why her behavoir is important and then explain to her what consequence she will face if she choses to act like a wild animal with this boy. but you have to follow up if she choses the bad behavoir. as far as the other mom she can chose to let her son run wild (i think its inapropriate and would not tolerate it) but i wouldnt bring it up to her, at the same time i may make my play dates with her less cuz its just annoying! good luck
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 11:04 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• No matter what, you should show her and teach her how to act in public. The little boy does it because he is allowed to and she sees him do it and you won't say anything in front of his mom.Thats where you need to stop it , right there. When she starts acting up tell her she is not allowed to do that in public. She will say he does it, and you can tell her right there in front of the mom that you aren't his mom.If you don't stop her, it will be your fault for not doing that. The other mom probably doesn't want to cause a stink. I caused a lot of stink with my girls in public places, they weren't allowed to act that way.NOPE, I don't think so.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 12:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Sorry, I forgot to add that my daughter just turned 3 and the little is 4 1/2!
    Anonymous

• RE: KAT The other mom probably doesn't want to cause a stink. I caused a lot of stink with my girls in public places, they weren't allowed to act that way.NOPE, I don't think so.

Causing a STINK in public places only makes YOU look bad. And make everyone around you uncomfortable. Which in itself is BAD MANNERS!  Reviewing expected behavior before you go out is best and then IF you must discipline further going to the bathroom to another private area is always best.

3gr8tKids

Answer by 3gr8tKids at 6:45 AM on Feb. 9, 2009