Is it possible for a baby to develop an allergy to milk at 8 months old?

My son's 8 months old, for the past 5 day's he has had diarrhea. Doc said it's a viral infection, I stopped giving him dairy (formula) and switched him to alsoy to make sure he's still getting the nutrients and to keep him hydrated. All day yesterday, he was fine! No scoots lol. Then this morning I gave him his reg formula...1 1/2 hrs after eating it, he had diarrhea again. 2x since and he's had 2 dairy bottles. First thing this morning before any dairy his poop was totally normal!!! I'm confused, if this is a viral infection why did his stool go normal again, until after eating 2 bottles of his reg formula?? Do you think it's possible that he's developed a milk allergy at 8 months old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Until the virus is completely out of his system, he can have normal then mushy poops. Messing around and changing his formulas back and forth is not helping, really. It takes a full week for the old formula to be out of his system before you can tell if there was any change or not. So one or two bottles of soy isn't really making much of a difference right now....and changing formulas will cause a change in bowel habits...and now if he starts vomiting it's more difficult to tell if it's the formula or the stomach bug.

Decide which formula you are going to give and stick to it....give the virus time to get out of his system.

However...in answer to your question, it is possible to develop a sensitivity to something later...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:20 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• It's the lactose in the regular formula. It makes diarrhea worse. It's not an allergy... it's just really hard for his tummy to break down. Stay on the soy for a few more days and then try his regular again.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:58 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• My kids R lactose intolerant!! It started as a baby shes now 5 and still cant handle it! ITs also painful for their tummy. Shes not allergic to milk but, lactose intolerant.... I buy lactaid milk. Id keep your baby on soy. Id never go back! Dont try his reg again!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• If he was sick it's not a lactose intolerace it's a normal response to lactose with a stomach bug. The virus wipes out the stomachs ability to digest lactose so basicially it goes right threw them and causes large diarrhea stools. It takes some time for the tummy to get better.
    Soy isn't as good as regular milk and should only be used if there is a true problem with milk.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:06 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• You can develop an allergy at any age.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:07 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• well the thing is he had 2 reg bowl movements this morning BEFORE I gave him his reg formula again. So it's like the virus was gone...until he ate his milk based formula.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Stay on soy a week, try his regular again... if he has diarrhea from it it might be an intolerance (probably not an allergy) But I'm almost certain it's from the stomach bug he has (I'm a pediatrics nurse we deal with this everyday)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:21 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I've had him on soy for about 1 week, this morning is the first time going back to the dairy. I'm going to give him his reg formula for a few more day's...I'm also going to give him some more pedialyte to make sure he has electrolytes replaced. If by mid week he still has diarrhea I'm going to go back to the Doc's..thanks for the advice this helps a lot. I just didn't understand why the soy formula gives him normal stool, then the dairy based give him diarrhea again. I guess the bug's still in his tummy!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• it is highly unusual for a small baby to have lactose intolerance - all milk (including breastmilk) has lactose - it is simply the sugar found in milk. people begin to lose their ability to produce lactase (which breaks down lactose) in toddlerhood.

it is much more likely that he could be developing an allergy to cow milk proteins. this can happen at any age. as with all allergies, repeated exposure to the allergen worsens the allergy.

it is definitely possible that his gut is simply not tolerating it right now because of the virus. cow's milk proteins (what others are calling "dairy") are quite rough on the body. perhaps once he is completely over it and the gut has healed, he will tolerate it again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• The pedialyte is not helping the diarrhea. The sugar in it, gatorade and juice make diarrhea worse. He's only been on the soy for a week and then you switched back....this round of diarrhea could be from the switch. the old formula had JUST gotten out of his system when you made another switch. Any switch of formulas needs to be given at least two weeks to see if there is a benefit.

It's probably a timing thing....the got rid of the virus just as you switched to soy and then you made a switch back and that kind of messed up his system.

To know if it's the milk based formula, you need to give soy a good two weeks. And for future reference, switching foods/drinks when a stomach bug is involved is never a good idea because you have no way of knowing what is doing what to the baby.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:05 AM on Feb. 7, 2009