Will beer increase my milk supply?

I have heard fenugreek herbal pills will increase supply.And eating oatmeal and now I hear a beer a day will increase,or maybe it is only dark beer.Something to do with the hops beer is made from.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i've heard guiness is recommended to pregnant women (once a day tops) for it's iron content and my doc said a glass of red wine a day was acceptable for a pregnant woman (though i don't drink at all), but that's the only time i've ever heard a suggestion that a pregnant or breastfeeding woman should drink alcohal.
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 10:03 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• If your talking about a normal budweiser no actually it will decrease your supply because alcohol is dehydrating. Some dark non alcoholic beer might help. I have found fenugreek to help and I drank mother's milk tea found a GNC to be helpful as well. Mostly just proper food intake and water intake coupled with frequent nursing keeps the supply up just fine.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I think a glass of beer or wine would relax you and aid in the "let down" of milk.. Which could be interpreted as increased milk supply.

3gr8tKids

Answer by 3gr8tKids at 10:09 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• The theory is the hops/yeast in it actually help with supply. I don't know if it's true, and according to kellymom.com it's not.

However: drinking lots of fluids, eating well, Mother's Milk Tea, Fenegreek/Blessed Thistle/Nettle capsules all can help with increased supply. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:11 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• My Doctor said it was a myth.
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 11:00 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• NO, don't drink while breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

• Just breastfeed more often.
    Anonymous

• MYTH!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:21 PM on Feb. 7, 2009