Do you wake up with Migraines?

I started getting Migraines when I was 18 & pregnant! My Daughter is now 29! I'm no better! Do you wake up with A Migraine? If so did your DR. Know Why? I saw Doctors, Chiropractors & neurologists & NO one had A reason... I had to stop for I can't afford them anymore,... I haven't had Treatments or meds for them in years... What do you do?? Any Ideas Why A Wake up Migraine?? Hoping someone heard a reason!! My Last meds I tried where Zoloft & Topamax. But couldn't afford them & went off Cold Turkey which was Tough!! Still paying off the bills on it! NO one Cared I couldn't afford the Meds. Migraines Ruined my Life! So I have no paying Job & my DH is on A long time Lay off once more! Any thing Help you!?

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 10:11 AM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Health

• I can get a migraine when I wake up if I go to bed too late the night before, sleep in too late, or simply not get enough sleep. That is one of my headache triggers. I've found the best way to reduce my migraines is to avoid what triggers them, but there are always a few things you can't avoid like weather. I got the book Heal Your Headache by Dr. David Buchholtz. and found it helpful and interesting. The biggest headache triggers for me to avoid are in food, MSG and Nitrates. Those are very common but there are many more. Chiropractor also helped me feel better. And excersizing regularly helps me. I don't know why that would make a difference though.
    karlyflower

Answer by karlyflower at 10:46 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I used to get horrible migraines. They started when I was a teenager and just stopped about 2 years ago. Do you get sick to your stomach and see the flashing lights? I sometimes would wake up with them. The doctors gave me pain pills and something for my stomach but I don't think anything really prevents them, at least in my case they didn't. The last few times I had a migraine I took Excedrin Migraine and it helped a lot. Also laying down in a dark room helps. And I couldn't stand noise at all when I had them.
    Here are a couple sites on herbs for migraines, a lot of people swear by them. Hope they help, I know how painful they are.

http://www.henriettesherbal.com/faqs/medi-3-2-migraines.html
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2051947_use-herbs-treat-migraines.html
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/herbal/msg1003401922964.html
    http://www.relieve-migraine-headache.com/herb_for_headache.html
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 10:54 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I usually wake up with one coming on, so I nab it in the butt before it gets bad.
    Reener

Answer by Reener at 11:11 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I used to have them two or three times per month. Magnesium in the form of magnesium glycinate has worked wonders to get rid of them. Its been about six months since my last migraine.
    Bloomen

Answer by Bloomen at 11:44 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• My migraines are mainly menstrual so I continually take birth control to prevent them as well as take Topamax. But, when I do get one Zomig (5mg) really zaps mine away. It may come back the next day, but I take another Zomig and within the hour, it's gone. I haven't found anything else that makes it better than that. Mine are also triggered by sinus problems I get. Exercise and staying hydrated (water of course) is always the best way to keep migraines away too! I have heard some people blame their migraines on the barometric pressure believe it or not! Who knows!? When I was pregnant with both of my boys, I was migraine-free...I loved it! So, I know mine are hormone related. Good luck!

sassymom0005

Answer by sassymom0005 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• my mil had the same problem turns out she had a hole in her heart that was causing them she had surgery to fix it and don't think she has had anymore problems

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 12:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I swear most dr's I've seen call my headaches Migraines, but I'm not convinced. I've seen neurologists, chiropractors, and had physical therapy for neck problems. After 6 months of physical therapy, the headaches pretty much stopped. Mine were not when I woke up. My really bad headaches seem to be when a combo of neck, TMJ/jaw, sinus issues and stress all kick up. For me, ice on the base of the skull, ibuprofen, and rest are best. I have been adjusted by a chiro at the start of a headache, and it went away.
    erin2well

Answer by erin2well at 12:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• OK, one more thing that might just help. This sounds funny. Put a banana peel on your forehead. I swear, girlscouts honor. I read it in Dear Abby/Ann Landers years ago. She said it's suppose to be the potasium in the banana (or potato peel too) that helps. I have read separately that potasium lows can be linked to some headaches. Now I do end up eating the banana first, but I've had good results, even if the headache doesn't completely stop, I usually can function. Usually I think of this last, because let's face it, if you've taken muscle relaxers, ibuprofen, put ice on your neck, maybe drank a coke (I know shouldn't but sometimes need it), popped a sinus pill, and NOTHING WORKS, and your thinking drilling a hole in your head is the last resort.... then you won't feel like an idiot slapping a banana peel on your forehead. Seriously, try it. My husband's even done it and it helped.
    erin2well

Answer by erin2well at 12:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I take topamax
    jonellg

Answer by jonellg at 12:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Morning head aches are sometime related to Sleep Apnea. Are you a bad snorer, wake up tired even after "sleeping" for many hours? It might be worth mentioning next check up (or sooner if you can go). With sleep apnea, a person stops breathing while they are sleeping, their oxygen levels drop, and the person awakens briefly, usually without realizing. Less REM stages are reached, and a good restful, deep sleep is not reached.
    Anonymous