NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:38 AM on Sep. 19, 2012 in Religious Debate

• No... but then again I have never sworn to believe one way or another on the subject. I feel the Bible is God's chosen book but that it is still written by man. Man is not perfect, that meant here is room for mistakes. I also believe that since the Bible has been translated over and over again that things have been lost or mistranslated. I feel this could just as easily be the case for this piece of paper. I could be totally accurate and there were things not correct in the Bible... it could be mistranslated or be talking of another person. But int he end it is just not that important to my faith whether or not Jesus was married. It wouldn't change anything for me. It is a detail.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:56 AM on Sep. 19, 2012

• nope...I'm sure there will be denial about it though by some
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:59 AM on Sep. 19, 2012

• No it dosen't matter to me, Jesus was fully human so the idea that he may have been married doesn't surprise me.

The article posted on CNN's site and on this posted article, clearly state that the scientists involved in finding the new papyrus believe the writing does't provide enough evidence about whether Jesus was married or not because there isn't enough context with the writing. We just have no reason to believe Jesus was married, but he could have been.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:08 AM on Sep. 19, 2012

• Him being married or not changes nothing for me.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:11 AM on Sep. 19, 2012

• Another contradiction as to what is believed of him...only goes to proof how wrong that Bible can be...but this does not waiver my believes in him....

Answer by older at 8:19 AM on Sep. 19, 2012

• I think this only proves that the Bible was a work of many men, not all who were in agreement with each other - each had his own agenda and understanding, whether the scribes who misinterpreted words or deliberately changed them, or whether editors who were working to please the men in power (ecclesiastical or royal).

This 4th Century papyrus doesn't prove the existence of the Jesus of legend, only that someone believed that he was married.

So, no.  It doesn't change anything for me, as interesting as the discovery is.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:28 AM on Sep. 19, 2012

• I think it is hilarious how generally, people will believe anything in print especially if it is old. No, this will not "alter Chrianity."
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 8:46 AM on Sep. 19, 2012

• Since it doesn't prove anything, it changes nothing.

Answer by missanc at 9:56 AM on Sep. 19, 2012

• Geez, more coffee needed, *Christianity, not whatever I typed before
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 10:09 AM on Sep. 19, 2012

• No. I've never quite understood why everyone is so sure he never married. Why the heck not?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:25 AM on Sep. 19, 2012