Do you think pacifiers go "bad" over time?

I know pacifiers get weak, etc. after use - but in unpacking baby stuff I found a bunch of pacifiers that are still in good shape from when my oldest was a baby (about 4 years ago). I just had a baby Saturday -- do you think these old binkies are OK to use with him? I could just boil them again to re-sterilize, right?

ErinMarie123

Asked by ErinMarie123 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my doctor actually told me the sooner u introduce a binky to a baby the better, because it helps prevent against SIDS..... He also said the best time to give a baby a binky is at night before she/he goes to bed....and i wouldnt use old binkies plus some of them are only good for certain months....so how would u remember? well i hope i said some helpful things... :)
    12vikki07

Answer by 12vikki07 at 2:57 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I would use them if that helps at all.
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 10:58 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't. Vinyl degrades over time so there's no way to know for sure that after 4 years they wouldn't come apart in the baby's mouth. And the baby choking on a small piece of vinyl is not the way to find out.

Why chance it?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:01 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• No, I would not use them. They do go bad, they degrade and start to fall apart.

Kathy-PSPR

Answer by Kathy-PSPR at 11:07 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Pacifiers are pretty cheap. I tossed all mine out. not just because they get soft/weak over time, but also because gunk got inside somehow and even though they were strile, still looked nasty!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• No. And if your baby is 6 days old, don't be so quick to shove a binky in it his mouth.
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 1:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Thanks - I hadn't used any of the old ones but I will pitch them. And I'll stick a binky in his mouth when I please. Thanks!
    ErinMarie123

Answer by ErinMarie123 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• lol erinmarie123! thats what i would do too! who cares how old the baby is if he wants a paci- then he deserves a paci! lol and i agree about pitching them- but i had to lol to that reply to mommyhess!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 2:31 PM on Feb. 7, 2009