can i make chicken broth from just chicken bones?

i made a whole chicken a few days ago and saved all the bones- can I make broth from the bones and not the meat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I always do this rather than toss the bones. I usually put water just to cover the bones. Boil for an hour or so, then remove the bones and pick off any meat that is still on them and put it back in the broth. Chill the broth to make the fat rise to the top and harden, remove the fat, and you are ready for soup. You can freeze the broth or use it then. I like to make what I call "free" soup. I take out any little portions of vegetables that I had already frozen, put in chopped onion and chopped any other vegetable. Also leftover dressing goes well. And did you know that you can chop leftover salad and put that in, too. If it needs more protein I put in a can of baked or kidney beans. Taste and see if you need anything else. -tomato, rice, noodles, etc.

Answer by Bmat at 11:26 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I do it all of the time with chicken & turkey.
    Kathy-PSPR

Answer by Kathy-PSPR at 11:05 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I don't think it really matters much, but I've never done it. I boil my turkey, chicken, ham and roast bones to make soup all the time, but there's always a little bit of meat left on them.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:09 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• how long should i boil them for?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I bring to a boil and then simmer it for a few hours when I do it.
    I always save the ends and "throw away" pieces of veggies in the freezer for this purpose too.
    Kathy-PSPR

Answer by Kathy-PSPR at 11:12 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I've heard you never bring it to a full boil because then it will taste overcooked and bitter. I'd add lots of veggies like carrots, celery, onion, garlic.. and some thyme too.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 1:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Certainly! The bones are where the flavor lies. If you want to add any extra, just get a pack of chicken wings or (if you have a butcher near you) backs and necks. Don't boil them...just add to a pot with celery and onions, water or broth, and a sprig or two of thyme. Heat until bubbles start to form around the edge of the pan, then reduce the heat. Simmer for a couple hours.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 8:18 PM on Feb. 7, 2009