If you have a hectic schedule, or work late nights and wake early, how do you keep in shape?

I work late nights and wake early to get my son off to school. My daughter, 2 months old, is starting to sleep soundly at night time which is GREAT lol but I still only get 4 hours of sleep. I do have 6 hours of free time. I either nap the entire time (I sleep like a rock when I nap) which gives me energy for work but I get nothing accomplished all day....OR I do my errands/chores and go to/leave work drained. I do a lot of physical labor at work so that is my "exercise" but I do try to fit in yoga or some cardio during the day...if I have the energy. My lack of sleep is killing my metabolism. I still have 30 lbs of pregnancy weight to take off and i'm going nowhere :( Any tips? What has worked for you? I do watch what I eat and I drink a lot of water and take a multi-vitamin. Joining a gym isnt an option because I dont have the money and no place here offers child care anyway (the Y does but membership is too much for the lack of time I'd actually go)

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 1:26 PM on Sep. 19, 2012 in Diet & Fitness

• I list 10 lbs, fairly easy when I watched what I ate & exercised everyday but like you life gets in the way... And it all came back...
    A neighbor and I like to go walking but between her schedule and mine, its only two nights a week. I figure that's better than nothing.
    I wish I had a good answer for both of us :)
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 1:45 PM on Sep. 19, 2012

• I squeeze it in where I can. I love to run, and I can do that almost anywhere, so I do! If I had it my way, I'd run every morning, but that would require getting up at 3AM 4 days a week, so I have to be flexible. I've been known to do a 15 minute run on a 30 minute lunch break.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2012

• Take care of yourself first and foremost--living a full life on too little sleep is hard, mentally and physically.

Try playing with your "free time" and finding a compromise between rest and fitness. You could set an alarm after four hours, giving you a full eight hours of sleep if you include the night. Take an hour to do chores/errands, and an hour to go on a walk.

For fitness, there is no need to join a gym. You can walk anywhere, and it's free. On the days I just don't have it in me to run, I walk instead. Look for hills you can walk up and down--great for your legs, abs, and butt. Depending on how far away your work is, consider biking instead of driving.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 12:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2012