Is it ok to break the law as long as it doesn't violate your religious beliefs?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:59 PM on Sep. 19, 2012 in Religious Debate

• No. Breaking the law is wrong. To me, the only exception to breaking the law being wrong is self defense and/or emergencies - murder is wrong, unless you're defending your life or someone else's life. Speeding is wrong, but if someone's going to die if you don't speed, then speed. Your religious beliefs have nothing to do with whether or not you're breaking the law. The law is the law, it's separate from religion.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:03 PM on Sep. 19, 2012

• breaking the law DOES violate my religious beliefs, so..no, its not ok.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:04 PM on Sep. 19, 2012

• ..which isn't to say i don't ever break the law, mind you. lol.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:05 PM on Sep. 19, 2012

• My beliefs tell me to obey the law of the land... so no. And what dull said lol.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 3:22 PM on Sep. 19, 2012

• Well, some archaic laws are on the books that are never enforced. I will be keeping my s*x toys. Come arrest me, Georgia!!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:37 PM on Sep. 19, 2012

• Well for the most part breaking the law violates my religious beliefs, however I'd need a specific example because there are exceptions.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:50 PM on Sep. 19, 2012

• however I'd need a specific example because there are exceptions.

The question came to mind from that cheerleader question in R&B. Despite it being illegal, some people seem to think it's ok. That's one example - but it's a constant refrain that's come up before - the teenage girl who got death threats for objecting to the prayer hanging in her school, the southern school that cancelled then held a "fake" prom rather than include glbt and special needs students, etc.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:00 PM on Sep. 19, 2012

• I am not sure where you are going with this. In my religion we are to obey God(our religion) AND the civil law.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:16 PM on Sep. 19, 2012

• Exactly what dull said.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 4:17 PM on Sep. 19, 2012

• In the case of the cheerleaders I'd obey the laws, and I'm always against death threats.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2012