Too Young for Toddler Bed?

My son is 10 months and he gets out of his crib all the time. We've put pillows down all around it so he doesn't really hurt himself, but its still unnerving to hear the thump of him hitting the pillows and then a few seconds later here him come crawling out of his bedroom to the living room where we are. I really don't know how he does it. He stands pretty well and is really trying to walk but I just had no idea he had that kind of upper arm strength, its crazy! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone thought a good solution to this would be a toddler bed, with the barriers on the sides so he doesn't have as far to fall...I can't think of any other options. My ILs say its a bad idea and I need to watch him till he falls asleep but I don't want him to get used to me being in there while he falls asleep.

mambearwhitt4

Asked by mambearwhitt4 at 12:13 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• If he's climbing out of his crib, I would MUCH rather put him in a toddler bed! If he falls out of a toddler bed, he falls from a height, of what, a foot? As opposed to climbing over the crib rails which are about 3 1/2-4 feet high?

You might want to consider taking his crib apart, and putting the mattress on the floor with blankets and bedding, and then install a tension gate across his bedroom door, to keep him from roaming at night!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:18 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I would move him to a bed. Looks like you have your hands full mama :)
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Better he fall a few inches out of a toddler bed than a couple of feet out of a crib and break a bone!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• toddler bed with the side barriers, they actually don't cover the whole be anyways (or now that I think about it some of those theme beds do have coverage all around but the child can still get in and out safely -- like my son's race car bed, and its not too expesive and converts to full size later).
    When they climb out its time for toddler , its an indiv. kid thing not an age thing.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I put the railing down on my sons crib. Everyone couldn't understand, but I said, "His fall is shorter." And eventually I took the one railing of the crib down. But go ahead and get him a different bed, if you think that's best. I don't think you should have to watch him until he falls asleep. Why don't in-laws mind their own business anyway? Right? Don't tell them anything, and they tend not to have as much to say. That's my secret.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 4:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2009