I knew i married an idiot...

i picked up DS from school today, and on the way home, he started blabbering about going to the fair today with his class. say what?
..instead of having after-lunch recess.
..said it was supposed to be a secret and the class was told not to tell anyone.
WTH??
i am livid! his class has a homeroom rabbit, and her owner (the teacher) entered it in the fair..she won a 2nd place ribbon, yadayada...and thought it'd be fun to take the class to see the rabbit/ribbon, etc.
the school did not inform parents of this trip. don't you think they should've??
i do. DH doesn't think its a big deal, and just rolled his eyes when i said i was calling the school in the morning.
am i overreacting? really?
i would've ok'd the trip, no problem..but they took the class out without notifying/asking the parents..and according to DS, it was a secret. that's what i have a problem with.

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 5:44 PM on Sep. 19, 2012 in

• That's a BIG problem. I wonder how many other kids said something to their parents since it's supposed to be a secret. This should be brought to everyone's attention and I am positive that like you, others will be livid. You think your kids are in school, they should be in school! I can't believe that a school would allow an entire class to go on an outing without any parents consent and then encourage the kids to keep a secret. What?!? That is just stunning and an incredible lapse of judgement on their part. Not ok. Wow.
    anonymous92

Answer by anonymous92 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 19, 2012

• DH doesn't think its a big deal,

and when the kid gets injured on the outing and you get a call from the hospital, what will he think then?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:46 PM on Sep. 19, 2012

• I would have been PISSED. Not only because if God-forbid something happened and I was completely out of the know on where the hell my child was, but also because I'm pretty sure it's illegal and I would not enjoy the fact that my son's teacher is encouraging my kid to lie to me.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 6:10 PM on Sep. 19, 2012

• I would call administration, school level isn't high enough for this. Taking your kids off school property could be considered kidnapping if you really wanted to be a b*$ch. I would lose my freakin' mind about this, what if you went and picked him up early etc... IDIOTS.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 6:00 PM on Sep. 19, 2012

• I'm with you on this one, the school definitely should ask the parents permission! I'm extremelly shocked that they kept it a secret!
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 5:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2012

• AND!
    while I love field trips- and wish there were more activities for kids- who is supervising all the little darlings at The FAIR!
    Because even when I have just taken my 3 (before baby) I had a hell of a time keeping track of them.

They were all like, "SHINY" and freaking took off in 3 different directions- ugh- call the school.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:50 PM on Sep. 19, 2012

• I thought they had to notify the parents.... That would upset me, yes. Not that I would mind them going, it's the principle.... Ask for permission. You need to know where your children are when they out of your own care. That's not right.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:01 PM on Sep. 19, 2012

• DH is probably just concerned about more important things like what's for dinner. The school was absolutely in the wrong taking the kids on a trip without parental notification and approval. I'd raise a stink if I were you, to ensure it didn't happen again, I'm sure you aren't the only parent who is upset about this, contact the other parents if you can, join forces and have a talk with the school administrators.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Sep. 19, 2012

• That was wrong on so many levels. I'd smack my DH upside the head for not caring.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 6:12 PM on Sep. 19, 2012

• I do believe in my state that is illegal. Parents HAVE to be notified, and HAVE to sign a medical release form for every outing off-campus. If any child gets hurt, for any reason, it's the school's ass on the line for liability. Not to mention, what if a child in that class is allergic to some kind of animal?

I'd be PISSED. That is NOT a secret to be keeping from the parents. I think I'd be skipping the school and calling the superintendent.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:27 PM on Sep. 19, 2012