How is this Hybrid replacement going to help?

I'm all in favor of the government switching to fuel efficient vehicles, and it only makes sense for public and commercial vehicles to lead the way. However, I am reading the new Consumer Reports shopsmart summary on hybrids:
Most hybrids do not get substantially higher mpg, the cost of maintenance and depreciation means the money saved does not offset the increased cost of the vehicle unless gas is ABOVE $2/gal for 5 years, and on SUV models (like those used by work crews) gas has to be $5.20/gal for the cost difference to be worth it, unless they use Tahoe hybrids which cost $56,000 and still only gets 19 mpg as a hybrid.
We're going to spend 300 billion (they cut it in half last night from 600) to do this, how is it actually going to help?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• what we need to do is mass produce these

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• ugh, not retyping that all - that b should be an m - 300 million/600 million
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:56 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Interesting.Personally I think (last I checked) this stimulus is a complete joke.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:56 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I would like to know where you are getting your information from? please websites?
    pandermom

Answer by pandermom at 1:33 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Consumer Reports Shopsmart March 2009 issue - you'll have to buy one or pay a Consumer Reports membership to see it online, it's their monthly buying guide
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I had read some of that on an AOL page about a month ago, about the batteries being from china, and it takes 24 hours to recharge fully, that the cars only go about 50 mph and run for maybe 100 miles. MY grandmother is the only person I can think of who would benefit from a car like that. The cars are small seating 4 people and really ugly.Granted these were considered Electric vehichles with a gasoline backup, so the innovation really isn't there yet.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 2:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• LOL my DH reaaallly wants one of those - I told him as soon as he wins the lottery he can have 3, until then he's SOL
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:07 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Do I dare answer this?????? This is not going to help from my point of view. This entire stimulus package is nothing more than a spending spree for the government at our expense. This particular part, new hybrids for the gov, may create temporary jobs but how much of that 300 million is going overseas because we do not produce the parts for these cars here. Now, I guess I will get my butt chewed out again.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 7:01 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• akinbottom2 I totally agree with you one this. This is a work in progress that will not benefit a lot of people at this stage. (besides this, it's the gov. that wants these vehicles for themselves. they really could care less about us and how well they actually help, they just want new cars. )
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Yep akin yet some seem to think these things are great and ready to go ....not quite.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:24 PM on Feb. 7, 2009