ok I am confused!

So I posted a question yesterday asking what you all miss(ed) while pregnant and 2 people mentioned sandwiches. One worded it as "cold cuts" and another sliced turkey sandwiches. Whats wrong with it? This is my second pregnancy and I have never heard o such a thing.....????

LovinEveryDay

Asked by LovinEveryDay at 12:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• uhmm i think im going to miss feeling her kick...i eat cold cut sandwhiches all the time from Angelina's Subs
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 1:06 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• LOL :) don't worry too much :)

some doctors tell you to not eat cold lunch meats, that it should be heated to 140 degrees before eating it to kill of any lysteria bacteria that may be in it.

but honestly, I just bought good lunch meat and ate it cold :) I even had cravings for cold cheesy dogs by Oscar Mayer :) I ate them straight out of the pack. never got the Lysteria infection they worry about.

IMHO I think it's just women getting overly paranoid about stuff. :)

I also ate sushi on rare occasion while pregnant.
    Anonymous

• The USDA warns that pregnant women should NOT eat ANY kind of lunchmeat unless it is warmed to steaming hot. I didn't believe this when I first read it. I thought it meant just bologna, and processed, chopped up meats, not nice lean, whole turkey breast!! I went to the USDA website. I read it there, but still didn't believe it. I CALLED the USDA, and I got a person on the line who said that pregnant women should not have ANY type of lunchmeat. For some reason, I felt that this person did not really understand my question, or was not very confident about her answer, so I CALLED AGAIN! This time, I spoke with a very knowledgeable representative who explained to me that ALL deli meats, including turkey, roast beef and ham can possibly be contaminated with Lysteria monocytogenes bacteria, which can cause premature labor or stillbirth.
    I got this from http://www.storknet.com/cubbies/pregnancy/exjf20.htm
    hope this helps =D
    TechnoBunny

Answer by TechnoBunny at 1:05 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I am not worried was just curious THX:)
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 1:06 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• technobunny, awesome answer :)

my only issue is that I refuse to avoid things because it "MAY" be contaminated LOL :) I'm not saying your info is not balid, just stating my view point on it.
    I "may" get in a car wreak but I'm not gonna stay home 24/7 to avoid it :)
    Anonymous

• *valid LOL not balid :)
    Anonymous

• yeah i eat cold cut sandwiches all the time. just make sure the place youre eating tem from arent disgusting and dirty.

you cant look at everything like that all of the time u know.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• As long as the meat is cured and prscessed(with all meat in subway/quiznoes etc are) is fine.People panic when they hear this and it pertains to delis and specialty stores that do NOT cure their meats.Anything bought packaged in a store has to be processed and cured in this country.Eat your sammy, its fine!
    Anonymous

• If you kept away from everything that "might" cause problems during pregnancy, you'd starve to death. EVERYTHING has a slight chance of problems, and it seems they list it as a possible problem even if it's 1 in 20 million chance of being harmful to SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE. Even pure clean water can be harmful, you know, you could choke while drinking it or drown in the shower so pregnant women sould stay away from water...
    Anonymous