group strep b

I was recently diagnosed with group strep b due to a urinary tract infection. I had a lot of questions about what it was and why and who and how but the ob who told me wasnt my regular ob. She really didnt seem to want talk about it. As usual i googled it and found out some information i NEEDED but im worried about if theres a possibility i can pass it on to my 20 month old son. Can he get sick from this? I am having a scheduled c-section (at my own request before i found out about being infected). I was also wondering if its sexually transmitted? Im 29 weeks tomorrow so i am starting to worry.
thanks

TechnoBunny

Asked by TechnoBunny at 1:00 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No, by direct contact only. Its a bacteria that lives "down there" (vagina and butthole) It can be passed to a baby coming out of the birth canal if you are not treated for it while in labor which they simply just give you antibiotics through your IV.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 1:08 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I don't know what they'll do for you having a c-section...but I had it with all three of mine. They give antibiotics during labor.

It's actually very common. Most women don't even know they have it until they are tested during pregnancy.

There is some risk to the baby if the mother doesn't receive antibiotics during delivery....if that happens I *think* they give the baby some antibiotics (just to be safe) but I do know they watch the baby a little closer. Doesn't mean it stays any longer or anything though....

Your toddler is not going to get it and if you have it now you've had it for some time probably. It comes and goes, it's not uncommon...it's not usually even a concern except in delivery.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:23 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• got o WEB MD .com and enter strp B and tons of info pops up.We just talked about this in the group I run for preg moms...
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I found out I had this when I went for my 38 week check up just 3 days before I went into labor! all they did was give me antibiotics in my IV while I was in labor and everything was fine! I also had a 5 year old at the time and they werent to concerned about him getting it! Dont worry, I'm sure everything will be fine!! :)
    AmandaDenise26

Answer by AmandaDenise26 at 5:59 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I had this with my daughter and they said when I would go into labor, I'd get the antibiotics, If I remember it was in my IV.
    Anonymous