Unbleached flour vs. bleached flour.....

I want to make chicken fried steak for dinner, and it calls for regular, all-purpose flour. Is it going to make a difference if I use unbleached flour? It's all I have. Thanks!

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 1:08 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• unbleached flower is the same its fine to use, its just unleached meaning its more natural. its fine to use ...its actually better to use. :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• use either one as long as it's AP and not self rising :)
    Anonymous

• a bit off topic but I'm slowly learning that unbleached products like rice and pasta and flour just taste better! use the unbleached! :)
    Anonymous

• Thanks, I like off the topic stuff too lol, helps me learn more about things :)
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 1:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I learned the pasta and flour thing when my hubby went on meds that gave him mild diabetes (awesome side effect right? as long as he was on it, he had to eat like a diabetic and check his sugars with a monitor, it sucked) I had to buy the whole wheat unbleached stuff. I made spaghetti with the unbleached whole wheat pasta and have never bought regular again!
    Anonymous

• Interesting, I have always wondered about the flour. Does that mean that anytime that I am baking, I should be using self rising? What kinds of things require self rising flour Betty Crockers? . . lol . . . I bake occasionally, so I don't qualify as a "Betty." . . . lol
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Most unbleached flour is all purpose. Unless it says bread flour, pastry flour, or self-rising flour, you can assume it is all purpose flour.

Bridget: Generally speaking, you shouldn't use self rising unless a recipe calls for it. There are recipes that use it, I promise! lol Self-rising flour already has leavening agents in it (in this case baking powder), as well as salt. You'll notice that recipes that call for self-rising flour don't call for any additional salt or leavening (like baking soda or baking powder) in most cases. Also, many self-rising flours are low-protein (essentially, cake flour). It's generally used for things like biscuits, quick breads, muffins, and shortcakes.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 11:56 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Just a note: unbleached flour is better for you than bleached also. It retains more nutrients, and has a lower gycemic index. Bleaching used to be a natural part of the oxidization of flour, but as the demand for flour increased, the manufacturer's needed to speed up the process (which took about 12 weeks), so they turned to benzoyl peroxide and chorine gas to whiten the flour. Unbleached flour isn't exposed to these chemicals, so the color is slightly different, which bothers some people...but it also doesn't have the metallic aftertaste of bleached flour.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 12:02 AM on Feb. 8, 2009