Would you have play dates with a SAHD and his son/daughter? Why or Why Not.

As a SAHD, my DH does not have much of a social outlet . Our local MOMS clubs does not appear to include SAHDs (based on their advertisements, I wouldn't even contact them if I was a SAHD!). Friends of ours have SAHMs but the playdates are like once or twice per year.

Scratching my head on why this might be and would appreciate any insight.

jbs_mommy

Asked by jbs_mommy at 1:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would let him.

my logic behind that is that he's obviously a loving husband and father if he is a SAHD. I would not worry about anything.

I'm kinda sad that they wouldn't let him come. I mean, moms have playdates to have adult interaction too, why can't a SAHD have the same thing?
    Anonymous

• I dont have an issue with sahds. Maybe he can make friends the same as moms do? Go to the park, little league, sign up for functions at schools etc.

Answer by gemgem at 1:28 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I understand the difficulty of the situation, because everything is geared towards SAHMs and even if he does the things that gemgem suggested, he will come in contact again, with mostly moms. I would just try the place you talked about, it won't harm anything. I understand how he feels, we just moved to this neighborhood and I don't know anyone and all my friends and family are far away. I have cabin fever LIKE CRAZY and yearn for adult interaction!!!!!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• um.... why not, but yes unfortunately most places ad. for SAHM, but that's just b/c its more common. I would suggest just doing going to the same places activities that are common for SAHM, and scheduling play dates etc. and ignoring the SAHM ad part. Oh and maybe look online to see if there are any SAHD groups, it wouldn't surprise me if there was.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 2:08 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Sure, who not?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Dadstayshome.com
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:38 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I think that in MOST situations, getting a woman and a man together who spend vast times alone during the day (even though there are preschoolers or babies w/ them) that trouble WILL start. It's better to avoid those kind of situations, and I try so hard to keep my husband has my best male friend that I relate to the best. My hubby is not th jealous type, but I don't think he would appreciate being at work all day long while I am making friends with ' Frank'.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 4:51 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• If the kids liked to play together, I'd certainly do playdates with a SAHD and his kid. More than likely I'd try to make it a group playdate though. Most of the SAHD's I've known seem to feel more comfortable when they are included in a group playdate. Our homeschool group has regular playdates and dads are just as welcome as moms.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 4:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2009