Teen Not Eating?

I have a young girl only 14 staying with me, i don't know how long for because of circumstances with her mum, my friend. She is a gorgeous girl, beautiful hair and eyes, lovely figure and very popular in school but i've noticed she's not eating properly, she has'nt had a proper meal since Monday and it's worrying me, i have 6 boys and have never experienced taking care of a girl this closely (no matter how old.). The only problem she has is at home with her mother and siblings, she has a 1yr old sister which she lves and twin step brothers who are 15 and does'nt get along with them at all. I don't see whats wrong and i don't know what to do. The other day she asked me if she could stay for awhile and i spoke with her mother and her mother said it was for the best.

So what could be the problem?
What can i do to help, she trusts me and i need to be there for her?

Mummytomore

Asked by Mummytomore at 1:38 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I agree with BooBear. This needs to be addressed very soon, but it needs to be done carefully.

I would suggest talking to the guidance counselor at her school.

Also, I would maybe try sitting down with her and telling her how important she is to you, and how honored you are that she trusts you, and you only have her best interests at heart. Which is why you're concerned that she might not be taking care of herself as well as she maybe should. Explain to her that you're concerned that she's not eating, and you're afraid she's going to make herself sick. Ask her if she wants to talk about it.

Also, I don't know if you cook and sit down to meals, or if it's more of an "open kitchen" sort of policy. Maybe she's uncomfortable with "helping herself" as a guest in your home - like she doesn't want to be a burden or something?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:40 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• She's probably depressed because of her family problems. She should probably go to the high school counselor and talk some stuff out.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• She needs to see someone quick before this turns into anorexia. Being a 14 year old is hard enough, but to go through home problems and hormones at the same time is very stressful. She's lucky to have you to care and worry about her. Good Luck and just be there for her.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 2:14 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Do you have regular meal time at your house? If so just include her in all of that, let her help you prepare the food, and things like that. Prepare the meals and expect her to sit down with the family. Give her some time, and I would bet she will feel more comfortable and get in the flow with how things are done at your house. You would be surprised but a lot of kids aren't really taken care of as far as having meals for them, They kind of fend for themselves.
    Anonymous

• Is this the same girl that was having sex?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• She is not having sex.!
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 2:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2009