• In the Spotlight:

Should I let me son play tee ball?

He's going to turn 3 next month and he wants to play soccer SO bad but in our city you cant play until you're 5 soooo I looked into it and all he can play at his current age is tee ball. What do you think? Would you pay the 50 bucks and let him play?

RyleeMendez

Asked by RyleeMendez at 1:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think he may be a bit young to really "get it"
    but how long is the program? would the $50 be worth it to get him some interaction with kids his age and him start learning how to work as a team with others?
    I would probably do it just so he could learn those things and make some friends his age :)
    Anonymous

• Why wouldn't you? If he wants to and you can afford it then I don't see where the question lies....
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 1:41 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I say why not? I think it's a wonderful thing for kids to get involved with sports :o) If they start enjoying it at a young age, hopefully it will help keep them out of trouble later on! Plus, $50 isn't so bad that even if he didn't end up liking it, it wouldn't be a huge waste of money, you know? Good luck!
    TylersMama05

Answer by TylersMama05 at 1:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• My sons all did and it was a blast

Answer by gemgem at 1:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• My daughter played tee-ball the summer she turned 4. She didn't really get it, but she did have fun. Of course we were in a small town so she already knew all the other kids and felt really comfortable. It also only cost $10. You have to be prepared for the fact that at 3 your son might not really be ready yet, but if $50 doesn't stretch your budget too much it might be a good experience for your son to at least try.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I know you said you already looked, but I was not sure if you checked your cities park and recreation. They should have classes and ours for example has a toddler soccer.

I would just ask your son if he is interested in tee ball.... if not then don't play. If you do decide to try it out, I would just make sure it's a program geared towards fun at that age.

Maybe in the meantime go to Toys R us and get that Fisher price goal and a soccer ball so he can have fun doing what he wants and be outside getting some excercise.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 1:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• LOL - it's the exact opposite here! For T-Ball, he has to be 4 by April - we'll, he won't be 4 until JUNE! But soccer, they have classes start as early as 18 months (with parents)! Let him decide if he wants T-Ball - it's absolutely doable at his age (my son started playing baseball and tennis at 3). Sports are great at this age because the help with large motor skills, hand/eye coordination, "team work". ALSO - go to a store and buy some different sports equipment if you want him to learn a sport but can't find a class for it. That's how we started his sports playing for baseball, tennis, soccer, football, baseball, golf, etc... My son is a sports fiend and I just feel that if he's interested, we'll pursue it together and I won't set limits on what I think he can or can't do. I prefer to let him find out what he can and can't do physically on his own and encourage him to practice if he wants to get better.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• check out the YMCA sometimes they have younger classes and may not show up on a general search. Doing t-ball is not bad either, although not as fun.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 2:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I would say yes. We are going to be doing T-Ball. We just finished soccer. My son will be 4 in April. It costs 35 a sport. He wants to play basketball after T-Ball. He is super excited. Hope this helps
    KortniLeeana

Answer by KortniLeeana at 9:18 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I just started a group for ball players moms! Join us if you would like! We will be switching seasons. After T Ball, we will do soccer, football, basketball, etc! Just wanted to invite you!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/110104/
    sometimesitis

Answer by sometimesitis at 11:00 PM on Apr. 17, 2010