Is it ok for my son to be drinking this?

My son got ADDICTED to Lipton Green Tea with Citrus (Diet or Regular) after his gramma started giving it to him at her house, and then she started buying it for him to have at home. He tried to give up milk, which I am getting him to start drinking again, but he can drink about two 16-20 oz. bottles of this tea a day! I just want to make sure that it's not something that's not good for him. Any suggestions before asking the ped?

TylersMama05

Asked by TylersMama05 at 1:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'd think that a cup or at most two cups would be more than enough- that's 16 oz. And only decaf. Not caffeine for sure. Water would be even better, and not giving up milk. Perhaps you could allow at most 8oz a day, decaf, and water it down with that much water.

Answer by Bmat at 1:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• just cut it out of his diet completely. that's not good stuff.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• While green tea has some benefits....this product does not sound like it. I am assuming since you mention diet or regular it is in a bottle or can ? It's sound like soda in disguise to me.

It's probably loaded with caffeine and diet is loaded with artificial sweetners.

I would have most of his diet consist of water, then for extras...100% juice and regular milk ( if you guys drink it).

I would not give this to my kids at all, but in your case, I think I would tell him from now on that tea is a special treat for parties etc...since he has already been drinking it.

2 bottles of 16-20 ounces is WAY too much. Have him go with you to the store and pick out a fun cup to put his water in maybe to help soften the blow.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 2:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• once in a while maybe but that much a day.... prob. not, take a good look at the ingredients.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 2:18 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Thanks ladies! This is gonna be tough! I have always heard great things about Green Tea, so never thought anything of it! I'm so glad I asked! This is gonna be tough because he's really addicted to it the way his father and I are addicted to Mountain Dew! Not good!
    TylersMama05

Answer by TylersMama05 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Ask the pediatrician about natrual tea, I know chammile tea is safe for kids to drink to help calm them at night.
    scmomma85

Answer by scmomma85 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Save some of the green tea bottles and put some lemonaide in them and keep them cold like you do the bottles of the tea. That's why he likes it, not because of the tea in it. He probably won't even notice, or not much.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 4:02 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Green tea is good, but the bottled lipton stuff is chock full of too many natural or articial sweeteners and I personally would not give that ot my chidlren. We drink a lot of decaf regular and green tea in our house and put very little sugar/honey in it to sweeten it. My kids get that quite often. Someone else suggested using the bottles wth something else. I found the only way to get my kids to drink water when they were younger was to put it in a glass like mommy and daddy drink it from and let them have it so there might be something to that.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• everything in moderation, I say.
    Blessed_Momma

Answer by Blessed_Momma at 8:25 PM on Feb. 7, 2009