How much did you/would you spend on a 3 year old's birthday party?

This will be his first actual "party" with his friends invited and we booked a place that has a ton of big inflatables (like the jupiter jump and big slides) and we put down a $50 non refundable deposit. Well turns out our total went from (what I thought it was going to be) $150 to $225. My DH threw a FIT and wanted to cancel the whole thing, but I want him to have the party and we wouldn't get our $50 back! Thoughts? Is that too much to spend on just the venue?

RyleeMendez

Asked by RyleeMendez at 1:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It depends on how many people you invited. If you only have say 30 ppl coming then I might not spend that much. But you already commited to it and if you dont follow through Id feel like theyd think I was a flake. Do you have the money for it? If you do then go for it. My dds bday is tomorrow. We are having it at home but still spent ATLEAST that much on her cake, decorations, games and pinata plus gift bags etc.

Answer by gemgem at 1:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Hmm, I spend only like $80 on my kids' parties, we don't do anything too fancy, just bbq and cake/cupcakes and a few games at home. There are a lot of people to feed in the family too...
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:51 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I spend around $300 on each of my kids parties. I dont think $225 is out of the world for what youre getting.
    Anonymous

• i would sacrifice the $50.00 and do something else.

Parties should stay under the $100.00 range... maybe around$70.00 with food and what not.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• $0 - his first birthday "party" will be when he's 4 this year. And it will be less than $50 probably - food only, no favors, no theme and only a local public park as the venue. Just a small group of kids (5 or 6 friends max) and their parents playing at a park with snack foods and cupcakes. For me, anything more would be asking for a headache.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 1:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• now this is alil crazy but for my son 3rd bday (last month) on his birthday we spend $500 on taking him and his 3 cuzin his father n i to medieval times, it was spend on tickets for all of us n lil gifts we bought them from there the gift shop. the next day for school we had a party there as well i spend like $160 on cupcakes and decoration n gifts for all the kids in his class
    and last was his gift from us which was rock band and that came out to $250- $300
    p.s he is our only child so he is pretty spoiled
    parkslope

Answer by parkslope at 2:06 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• It depends on what they included! cakes? food for kids( at least)? a show time? or just jump around in the big inflated balloon?

I did a great b-day every 5 years. I dont' do much in between. I made cupcakes for them to take school , and that's about it.

i usually spend about $250 on food for all guests and a show for the kids. ( 10 -15 people party)
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 2:38 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Hey, if you can afford it ( we can't) then enjoy it. The only time it should be an issue is if you can't afford groceries or bills after the party. Have fun!
    armywife_2000

Answer by armywife_2000 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• My daughter just turned 3 and I had her party at BounceU which is the inflatables! I spent $300.00 to get the place and then another probably $250.00 on cakes, decorations, party favors! They had packages where cake and things were included but i am too picky for someone else to be picking out the cake & party favors, etc.! We had 20+ kids there and they all had a ball! My daughter loved her party and I would spend the money again! So, I don't think it is outrageous!
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 2:56 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• $10 for a gift and the cost of the cake ($20). When they turned around 12-13 we upped the cost of gifts to $20. The most we spend is on 18th bdays, $100 for a gift and a big party with friends. their ONLY party with friends, all others were FAMILY only.
    Anonymous