Anyone going to school with little ones?

I started going back a couple years ago and on Monday I start at the University. I'm so stoked, but also worried about how much time will be sucked up studying and how I will manage to spend time with my little ones. I have a five year old in kindergarten and a 2 year old who will be looked after by a sitter.

I also worry about being the oldest student there. A majority of the students attending will more than likely be in their late teens to mid twenties. Did you ever go when you were older than that? How was it for you?

Thank you!

uwmilf

Asked by uwmilf at 3:58 PM on Sep. 20, 2012 in

• I went to school when mine were 5 and 2. The school I attended had an on-site daycare for the two year old. I was home in time to get the 5 year old from school. We were on a very tight schedule.... dinner, baths and bed. They were in bed by 8:00 and then I studied until 10 or 11....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:00 PM on Sep. 20, 2012

• I am going now and my son is 6. So far we have been able to balance my school, his school and work. As for being older, only time I really even think about i8t is when I am older than my teacher. That is weird, but it is ok. I do have to block out some conversations I hear because they are so immature. I love it though!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2012

• I was in my early 30s when I went back to school. I was surprised at how many "non traditional" students there were, and I think it's becoming more and more common. I did go and buy some new cutting edge style clothes though so I would fit in well! :)
    My kids were 4, 5, and 8 at the time. They youngest was in preschool 5 days/week, 4 hours/day. I had a sitter drop her off in the morning and my mom picked her up the 3-4 days I wasn't out yet, depending on semester, and kept her until I got home. Fortunately I was able to get all morning classes, and I did take a couple online. I studied at night, or in the afternoons I would take them to the playground and let them play while I sat on a bench with my books!

Answer by missanc at 8:32 PM on Sep. 20, 2012

• I'm in a university nursing program right now, and my son is 4. I have been in school since he was about 16 months old. The balance has been hard, especially because I've also worked through most of this time. But you just have to find what works for you, and it may take awhile. It's definitely not easy, but it'll pay off! I've found it easier to leave home to study, and it more efficient, as I'm better able to focus that way, and I can get more done in a shorter amount of time than when I try to study at home.
    You might be surprised how many older students there are!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:09 AM on Sep. 21, 2012

Next question in
A History Question...

Next question overall (Baby Names)
Girl Middle Name