Wal-Mart...

Wal-Mart... Do you use it to save money? I have but then I watched a documentary about it last night and I don't think it such a great place any more. Should we put saving money over moral values???

TurksMommy

Asked by TurksMommy at 2:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• I guess I can't afford to put my morals before my family. I know, its awful. But-I have tried shopping at other places and really can't afford it right now.

Its a double edged sword.
    Anonymous

• I dont care about documentaries. I shop where I can afford to shop and thats that. Its conveniant for me 99% of the time to get my prescriptions, cleaning supplies, pet food and pet items, and groceries all in one place. I think its silly to boycott them anyway because people like me and many others never will.

Answer by gemgem at 2:44 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I get everything cheaper at other stores with double coupons than i could ever get them at WalMart. About the only thing I'll get there is DVDs. Even clothes are usually a better deal somewhere else if you shop sales. Their business practices have nothing to do with it - they just aren't that good of a deal. You get a cheaper price on a few things, and then pay extra on the other dozen things you pick up on the way out.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Thats probably true but for me with 5 kids is affordability and conveniance. I might pay more for a couple things but if it saves me time and gas then its still worth it.

Answer by gemgem at 2:53 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I'll take affordability right now...I can't afford to starve because I'm trying to be moral.

Its unfortunate that Wal*Mart does seem to have a monopoly going, but until another chain can step up and offer the same or better than what Wal*Mart has, they're going to continue to be #1.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 2:59 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Girl, they can find something bad about God, if you let them. I don't even watch TV anymore, except for the Style network, of course. I do what I want and don't let anyone tell me any different. If I am happy, my family is happy, etc.. etc... then my job is done.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 4:34 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I haven't been shopping at Walmart for years. Target has low prices as well and their items are better quality in my opinion at least as far as clothes, housewares and such go.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 6:57 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I was just there... like an hour ago. We go once a week. They aren't any more imoral than any other business out there. It's a business. End of story - immorality is part of the game. Welcome to America.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I really like Target. I don't go to Wal-Mart at all. I will shop Target, and if I need something special, I will look for it on Amazon or somewhere and order it offline. I'm not boycotting Walmart, I just think that there is better quality and just as low prices at Target. I also like Fred Meyer, which is another convenient place for getting all your items in one place if you have one around you.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Walmart doesn't have sales... other stores do. You can have morals and still save money. Try looking at the weekly ads that other grocery stores send in the mail. If you plan your grocery list by what's on sale, you'd be better off not shopping at Walmart- and you get to keep your morals.

Also check out the clearance sections for clothes items at Kmart, Shopko, Kohls and Target.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 9:11 PM on Feb. 7, 2009