So when should I take my 2 year old to the Hospital?

So we took our 2 year old son to the park and greenway like a pretty walking place and he got a splinter and little cutt on his finger hes been complaining about it since I tried my hardest to get whatever was in it out but i couldnt get anything out but i did put some cleaning stuff in it but today he wakes up and got sick than he currently has a fever of 102.6 Im trying to debate if i should take him to the e.r or wait it out and see how he does and if hes not better take him to the doctor monday? what do you think i should do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does it look infected? Has he had a tetinus shot? id take him and have them look at it. Its possible it is infected but then again he could have also picked up a bug at the same place.
    Anonymous

• Well do you think that the 2 are related? is the area with the splinter-pussy red, fowl smell?

Do you have a nurse hotline through your peds office or a ped that is on call?

How about an urgent care near you?
    Anonymous

• Ok-not pussy-pus-colored-sorry :)
    Anonymous

• I personally suggest if his fever reaches 103 to take him to the er...He may have an infection...does the finger look infected?
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 2:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• If you have to ask yourself if you should take him to the hospital, then yes, you should do it. Fever after a splinter without any signs of a virus, cold, flu or whatever is/could be a sign of an infection.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I'm not sure about your E.R. but ours just has doctors in pratice. You shoud take him to his reqular doctor if hes open or call the office and have him or her to meet you at the E.R. so thye can see your child.
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 2:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Is the finger red? Does the spot look infected? Are there streaks going up? If not, then it's not related to the splinter.

Did you give him some Tylenol to reduce the fever? Is he still throwing up? I'm not sure the two things are related, but can see your concern.

For now, monitor both situations and consider them separate things. Keep the finger clean, keep neosporin and a bandaid on the finger. Treat the vomiting and fever as you normally would. If EITHER situation worsens and you think it needs to be checked out then do so....and mention the other when the doctor is checking the worse one.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Does your insurance have a nuse hotline? Call your doctor's office and get the on-call doctor's phone number from the answering machine/service. This is a question you should ask him/her.

In the meantime, give him something to reduce the fever. Don't pick at the splinter anymore. If the fever goes down after you've tried tylenol, I would wait until Monday or take him to urgent care.

If for any reason you feel he needs to go to the hospital, just take him. Your instincts are always going to be best for your own child.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:25 PM on Feb. 7, 2009