Need some help with my baby's naps

I have a 5 month old who sleeps great at night (7 pm-5:45am) but doesn't take good naps. She wakes up to eat at 5:45 and then sleeps until approx. 8 am. I lay her down at the 2 hour mark (did the same w/my son, which worked great), but she ALWAYS wakes up at the 45 min mark, tired, crying and cranky. She won't go back to sleep, and this continues throughout the day. She's pleasant despite her tiredness, but I know she's sleep deprived. Should I keep her up when she wakes up at 5:45? Should I keep her up for longer than 2 hours (I did 2.5 hrs today, and she did the same but fell asleep peacefully)? I just don't know what to do and could use some help! All the resources I consult say a baby should go down at 1.5-2 hr. mark to avoid overtiredness, but it's difficult to fit in feedings before getting her to sleep. It's just a crazy time right now!

Mary52999

Asked by Mary52999 at 3:11 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First of all...everything you read is NOT written for YOUR baby. Your baby knows what she needs more than anything anyone else has written.

So..my advice is to take a few days and let the baby call the shots. Keep your meal times...breakfast, lunch, supper and snacks (between each meal and before bed) but let her call the shots for naps.

Once you figure out what SHE needs, then play with a routine...one that will work for both of you.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• First, I would try pushing her bedtime back to 8:00 and hope she sleeps in a bit later and keep her awake rather than falling back to sleep immediately. Secondly, be sure you're putting her down to sleep when she's very drowsy but not quite asleep. She'll then learn to put herself to sleep which is an important thing to learn. It sounds like your baby is waking after her first sleep cycle rather than settling herself back into a deeper sleep. If you don't allow her to learn how to fall asleep on her own it will start to effect the night time sleep as well. This same thing happened with my dd around the same age and this is what worked for me. Good luck!
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 3:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• As a baby gets older their sleep schedules change. My sons changed DRASTICALLY. Your daughters sleeping almost 12 hours thru the night already. If shes 5 months she gunna start being up more during the day. What you see as her being "tired and cranky" might just be her wanting attention. Every baby is different so use those books and studies as a GUIDE and let your little girl tell you what she needs.
    Anonymous