Nursing baby and introducing foods

For you breastfeeding moms, do you nurse your baby first and then feed cereal and/or baby food or vice versa? I feed my baby the food first, but I notice she doesn't drain me completely. I'm getting over mastitis and don't want to repeat that again!

Mary52999

Asked by Mary52999 at 3:13 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nurse first. They can do without solids, but they need the nutrients in breast milk.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 3:18 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I nurse and when my son is interested in food I feed him. He usually eats off my plate.

Sometimes he might be interested in food before nursing so I go by that. Its up to him really.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:33 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Nurse first. Breast milk is to be the main source of nutrition until 12 mos old. Solids are practice/fun/dessert.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Ditto to Krysta622. Plus, when they start getting teeth they'll be less likely to bite you if you nurse first while they're hungry and then offer solids.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 3:40 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• For at least the first 12 months ALWAYS nurse first! Solid foods are for learning, fun and to supplement nursing until at least 12 months - not the other way around.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 7, 2009