Do your kids see you and your husband fight?

How old are your kids? Do you ever get into a fight with your husband in front of them? Is there yelling involved? If so do you ever talk to your kids about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kids are 5, 3 and 2 (well, he'll be 5 in two weeks LOL).

My husband and I don't really argue, but we've been known to raise our voices for very brief periods of time. (we're talking a sentence or two in frustration) That's about it for us. We're very good at discussing things...but have to be more careful as the 5 year old is listening more than he lets on!! LOL

Do we talk to them about it? No. But if they were to come to us and voice a concern we would.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• My husband & I don't really fight, period. We just get into heated discussions some times. We are careful to try not to have these discussions when the kids are around...we usually wait to talk until the girls are in bed (they are 5 1/2 and 2 1/2). That said, they do hear us talking about grown-up things (bills, etc) and if my daughter asks questions, we answer them for her.
    caitandcarasmom

Answer by caitandcarasmom at 3:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• My little girl is almost 2, I fight with him In a civil tone, he yells, so when Im bitching she sees, when hes bitching shes in her room.
    NiekaC

Answer by NiekaC at 4:24 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Our kid is 5. Has seen many fights. I'm ashamed to admit it. If my husband wasn't a drunk, we wouldn't fight.
    Anonymous

• Yes. My parents never fought- that I knew of anyway- until a year before they divorced. So my perception of fighting in a relationship was that it ended it!! So my husband is THE FIRST MAN I EVER FOUGHT WITH. He also did not have *proper fighting skills*. We learned how to fight properly together... so yes we fight in front of our kids- for one- it helps keep the fight more as a discussion- also- I want them to understand that fighting or disagreeing is an important part of a healthy relationship. And we need to model these behaviors for them. Also- it is important to never say anything when mad that you wouldn't want your loved one to remember when the fight is over... emotions fade, but words can live forever.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 5:05 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• People differ on this issue and while I don't agree with fighting in front of my children, I won't say someone who does is wrong. It's a matter of opinion and how you're "fighting." There is nothing wrong with a healthy discussion where you disagree being displayed in front of your children. It does teach them how to work out their disagreements. This OK to me as long as neither parent is undermining the other. Children should not see one parent disrespect the other. It puts them in an awkward place and can teach them to disrespect as well. I don't feel healthy discussions are "fights." During the times where we are just plain pissed at each other and are arguing for argument's sake (and it happens whether you want it to or not), that does not belong in front of the children. Children have an amazing ability to take anything adults are upset/fighting about and figure out why it's their fault and feel bad about it :-(

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:31 PM on Feb. 7, 2009