Having some kind of a crisis of faith here... please answer kindly.

I'll try not to ramble too much here... I'm 25 years old, very happily married to a man raised Greek Orthodox Christian, pregnant with my first. For years I embraced Wicca, albeit rather haphazardly... so much of the bible-based religions confuse me and seem contradictory or outdated to me, so it's hard for me to embrace them at all. The other morning I woke up and the thought flashed across my head: "There's no God, no Goddess, no nothing. No life after death. It's all made up." I don't know if it was an epiphany or what, but it was the FIRST thing I thought when I awoke, and it felt right. Now I'm so confused, because I feel like there's SOMETHING trying to reach out to me and touch me somehow, but at the same time logic tells me god doesn't exist. Please, has anyone else gone though this? I haven't received any kind of a CLEAR message from any deity telling me they're there. do I only feel 1 should be becuz every1 says so?

Koukla12905

Asked by Koukla12905 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• http://av.goodseed.com/books/en/btn/btn-en-06.pdf

Maybe this will help you. Also, If you want to read it from the beginning just type in "01" where the 06 is in the link...Then 02, 03, 04, 05 and so on.......

Anonymous

• SOMEONE IS TRY TO REACH YOU,AND THAT SOMEONE IS THE REAL GOD.MOST PEOPLE HAVE A PLACE IN THEIR LIFE THAT IS EMPTY.THAT CAN ONLY BE FILLED BY GIVING THEIR HEART TO THE LORD. FIND A GOOD BIBLE BELIEVEING CHURH AND GIVR IT A TRY.
    GOD IS THERE WAITING FOR YOU.
    LOVE AND PRAYERS
    STARSHINE57
    starshine57

Answer by starshine57 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I had an experience similar.
    I woke up one day and the thought literally popped into my head, out of the blue, that the church of my youth was not what I believed anymore and I shouldnt worry about trying to force myself to believe in it anymore.

Now I follow more of a Pagan path but I do think you had an epiphany of some sort. Now what you do with it, is up to you. Maybe you need to talk with some agnostics or athiests about their experiences. Perhaps there are books you can read to help you understand why or how you feel as you do,etc.

Good Luck!
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 4:49 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• The thought that came in your mind as you awoke, it was not your thought, it was simply the devil trying to once again convince you that God does not exist. You think that the bible and religions contradict themselves causing you to be confused, but if you took the time to reach out to God, to see if He existed, He would speak to you so you would understand and not be confused. Do something youve not done before, read the bible and see what the outcome will be. I guarantee you, God is going to reveal Himself to you. God Bless you.
    AngelaMarie777

Answer by AngelaMarie777 at 4:51 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• For crying out loud, these posters above are kookoo...
    the first thought through your head was your subconscious telling you the truth as you know it deep inside where we sometimes hide deep or *scary* thoughts... being an atheist is hard in todays world, and many have a hard time accepting the *loss* of approval from society in general. Good luck to you momma, keep on thinking and listening to your heart and mind.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 5:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I am an atheist. I made my decision based on logic... much like you, i found the bible to be full of contradiction. Feelings can be produced... and the feeling like "something" is trying to reach out to you can be a self generated feeling caused by a sense of loss. When someone "loses" their beliefs they will usually have some feelings of grief... because that part of their life is no longer where it once was.

If you want to talk further, please feel free to pm me. I will try and offer thoughtful discussion, and some resources to help you understand some of what you are feeling.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 5:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• My suggestion would be to follow your gut. If the belief that there is no God, Goddess, Heaven, Hell, etc feels right to you then follow it. If it doesn't then maybe it is time to try to reconnect with your spirituality. It may be a matter that you have not found the right "religion" for you....then again, religion may not be what you need....maybe it is simply spirituality you are after. Take this time to listen to your hear, your heart and learn what you can. What is best for you will come. Do not do/follow something simply because others tell you it is how you should feel/think. Good luck.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 5:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with being wrong. Instead of worrying about that part, just let it go and see where your mind takes you. I went through a very long stretch of years like that before I crossed paths with the right path for me. It could be next week, it could be 10 years from now, it could be never, but if you're meant to be on a different one, it will find you eventually - maybe you're more in tune with something like Daosim or Buddhism which are more about just being you.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I'm not sure exactly what I feel. Even though I wasn't raised in a super-religious household, let's face it, the bible-based religions (I'm not going to generalize and say Christianity) are certainly the most widespread, or at least most prominent, beliefs in the US right now. While I don't feel pressured, it's just so universally accepted that there's a heaven, hell, god, that christ died on the cross for our sins, that there's a list of 10 Big No-Nos... it's so easy to believe it without actually believing it!

So on the one hand, I've got my logically side saying "there is no god etc etc" and on the other hand, I've got the side that's been hearing for the last 25 years that if you DON'T believe in god, you get eternal punishment. So even if I don't think there's hell or damnation or any of that, I'm still afraid of it! Does that make any sense?

Even when I embraced paganism, it didn't feel quite right to me... cont'd
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 6:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• ... it felt like I was trying to FORCE it to feel right because I wanted it to, or thought that it should.
    "Well, I don't feel like Jesus fits me, so this must work!" LOL nuts isn't it? I read someone else on CM who said they'd rather believe in god and find out he didn't exist than not belive in him and find out he did... I understand what they mean, but I can't make myself believe in something, especially something so all-consuming.

Thanks for listening to my ramble, and thanks to all who replied (or will reply) for being nice and not preaching at me. It is much appreciated.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 6:18 PM on Feb. 7, 2009