new dog with mange... im putting car oil on it? does this work?

K WELL ONE MORNING WHEN MY HUBBY WAS GOING TO WORK HE NOTICED SOMEONE PUT PUP ON OUR PORCH. HE COVERED IT UP CAUSE IT WAS FREEZING. I FEED HIM . GAVE HIM WATER. HE LOOKS BEATEN UP AND HAS THE MANGE. AT LEAST THAT IS WHAT WE THINK HE IS IN OUT SPARE BATHROOM AND MY HUBBY PUTS CAR OIL ON IT. IT IS HEARD TO CURE IT. WE DONT WANT TO PAY LOTS OF MONEY ON A VET CAUSE WE DONT KNOW IF WE WILL KEEP IT. THE KIDS LOVE HIM ( THEY DONT PLAY WITH HIMTHOUGH) AND WANT TO KNOW IF IM DOING THE RIGH THING HERE. I HOPE THAT GIVING THE DOG SOME LOVE WONT RESULT IN ME GETTING SOME RASHOR SOMETHING:(

himnme

Asked by himnme at 4:13 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Pets

• Honestly, if I knew where you lived I'd probably report you to the Humane Society for animal cruelty. Putting motor oil on a dog is HORRIBLE. Mange is a medical condition and the dog needs to be seen by a vet. If you can't afford it, take the dog to the Humane Society, if it is a no-kill shelter. Otherwise, look on-line or in the yellow pages for a no-kill shelter.
    Anonymous

• oh my goodness. go give the dog a bath right now!

the motor oil could KILL HIM.
    -Leann-

Answer by -Leann- at 4:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• IS THIS FOR REAL???? I sure hope not! You have to be STUPID to put motor oil on any living thing. It's POISONOUS - not to mention that dogs LICK THEMSELVES and therefore will be ingesting the oil. If this is for real BATHE that dog and take it to a shelter. It would be better off ANYWHERE but with you. Even on the streets. UGH.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:19 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• !!??? then why the hell is everyone over here telling me and my hubby that this works!! he looks better and we bathe him everyday. he isnt liking himself and he seems happy...
    himnme

Answer by himnme at 6:13 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I have no idea who your husband is speaking to but you need to STOP putting oil on him!! PLEASE. Have you thought to simply type in to the computer "what helps dogs with mange?"...I just did it and in 5 seconds found out the following:
    - it's CONTAGIOUS to other pets AND humans!!
    -there is NO way to cure mange without proper medication
    - KEEP YOUR KIDS AWAY FROM THE DOG - it will make them sick!

Am I the only person that can't believe the lack of COMMON SENSE here?? COME ON!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 6:25 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Wow...dude...seriously for the sake of that poor dog call the SPCA or the Humane Society.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 7:23 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Wow! People are really mean for calling you names like that! It may not be a good idea to put motor oil on him and I'm not sure how dangerous it is but I do know my dad has been a mechanic for years and gets motor oil on him all the time and he's still fine! He just rinses it off after wards. I don't think it would hurt as long as he doesn't ingest it and you rub it on him then take it off but not use too much.
    Anonymous

• Oh BTW I asked my husband and he said my BIL tried it and it helped a lot with the mange. Also, It doesn't do anything to your skin. Men get it on them all the time when working on cars. Just don't let it be ingested.
    Anonymous

• Still um home treatment for Mange is not that safe being it's contagios Anon.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:18 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• If you want a simple treatment you can read up on this..

http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/dog_mange_cure.html

It's cheap and seems to work well also. Check it out.

Anonymous